cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no IKVM keyboard or mouse in windows server 2019

grfxlab
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C240M4SX. running windows 2012 R2 the IKVM works as expected. I upgraded to windows server 2019 and the IKVM now only shows the screen but no longer accepts keyboard or mouse input nor responds to macro commands. It still responds to keyboard entry during boot / bios but as soon as the windows splash screen shows up, it no longer works.

The server is stand alone running the latest firmware for that machine (4.1.2f)

I can use windows remote desktop to get into the machine and mouse/keyboard but I like having th eIKVM in case it gets stuck or RDP fails. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The issue is solved. Thanks Steven for pointing me in the right direction......

The problem was the USB settings in the bios were set to XHCI. This setting is supposed to allow USB 3.0 bios level support. Remote USB worked correctly in bios and although the usb settings were also set to enable support for legacy USB under XHCI it stopped working when windows started. The setting for this is in the bios under Miscellaneous Configuration.....xHCI Mode. The options are Enabled and Disabled. Well, it was enabled. It should work that way but it didn't.

After xHCI Mode was set to Disabled, save changes and reboot....windows server 2019 starts and I can now interact with the session, with remote keyboard and mouse inputs thru the CIMC iKVM. 

Thanks everyone.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Complete guess-in-the-dark.

Do you have USB disabled within Windows?

The KVM mouse/keyboard are often presented to the OS via USB and if USB is disabled then they may not work.

Steven,

Great idea for a shot in the dark. Unfortunately it is not that simple. My crash cart is using USB keyboard and mouse correctly. I just can't use remote IKVM. I will update all drivers, chipset, etc just to make sure there isn't some issue there. I will post if that solves it.

Thanks

The issue is solved. Thanks Steven for pointing me in the right direction......

The problem was the USB settings in the bios were set to XHCI. This setting is supposed to allow USB 3.0 bios level support. Remote USB worked correctly in bios and although the usb settings were also set to enable support for legacy USB under XHCI it stopped working when windows started. The setting for this is in the bios under Miscellaneous Configuration.....xHCI Mode. The options are Enabled and Disabled. Well, it was enabled. It should work that way but it didn't.

After xHCI Mode was set to Disabled, save changes and reboot....windows server 2019 starts and I can now interact with the session, with remote keyboard and mouse inputs thru the CIMC iKVM. 

Thanks everyone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card