Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Normal Traffic on vPC Peer Link Nexus 5000 with UCS

Normally, I use vPC with vlan 99 [Allow vlan 99 one vPC peer link] but if I have new two UCS-6100 and only one uplink per 6100

so, Can I connect 6100 directly to Nexus 5000 with non-vPC [Interface connect as trunk and allow vlan 99 to UCS 6100] ?

Because  In Best Practice in Cisco document recommend to seperate non-vPC  Traffic to non-vPC peer link but in this case I cannot to that.

P.S. because when I try to use this setting it cause loop between two 6100 uplink interfaces.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

cpaggen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This topology is indeed not recommended because a) you're sending potentially large amounts of traffic over the peer-link and that isn't its intended primary function   b) you could end up isolating your orphan ports (the ports going to UCS) if the peer-link fails.

However that topology isn't creating a loop. You simply have a topology with 2 orphan ports (see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/design_guide_c07-625857.pdf for more information about orphan ports). If you issue a "show vpc orphan-ports" you should see the two ports going to UCS.

What is leading you to believe this is creating a loop?

What is leading you to believe this is creating a loop?

- First of all.CNA card is Q-Logic M71KR-Q

Because when I start to implement Nexus 1000v on ESX host (in UCS Blade) . vSwitch0 I choose to go out on vmnic0 [6100-A] only but when I install Nexus1000v [VSM] on ESX host then add host to VSM using vmnic1 [6100-B] in vCenter.    VSM and vCenter freeze and I cannot do anything on these two so I look at the Nexus 5000 Interface and I see huge broadcast packet come from interface Eth1/1 that connected to 6100-A and 6100-B

Later my Core Switch [6500 Gateway] CPU Peak to 99% so I unplug Interface Eth1/1 that connect to 6100-B, process CPU on 6500 come back to normal

That's why I think it can crate loop.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card