Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to perform a firmware upgrade on a C220M4

Peter21667
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a WLC 5520 where I need to perform the firmware upgrade for the hardware. This server has currently version 4.0.1a and I need to bring it to 4.1.2f. Therefor I use ucs-c220m4-huu-4.1.2f.iso.

I have done this multiple times on different WLC without issues. With this one I get loads of PCIEerrors when booting into the linux version. (See the screenshot)

I ran also the diagnostic but that didn't help.

Do I need to contact support for an RMA or is this something that can be solved?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Actually found a couple of other cases with same issue.   There is a bug filed for this issue: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvj28676

Please remove the Cavium CN6870C-210NV-M8-PR-G card prior to booting the HUU, and then reinsert after HUU is done.

It appears that the HUU, which is generally created for standard UCS C series servers, doesn't contain any firmware  for that that special use case (appliance) card, or the drivers to correctly scan it while HUU is loading. 

Kirk...

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does this server happen to have any Qlogic or emulex add in PCI-E cards?

I have seen some similar messages with a couple of qlogic cards, which required removing them during HUU process.

If no Qlogic cards are present, then you probably need to open a TAC case, and have them look at the CIMC tech support, and see if there is an issue being logged.

Kirk...

No I can not see a qlogic or emulex add in. WHen i check the PCI adpater i see a Cavium CN6870C-210NV-M8-PR-G and an intel I350 1 Gbps Network controller.

But nothing else, like i mentioned this is a wireless controller 5520, which is using the C220 as a base.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Peter21667 wrote:

Therefor I use ucs-c220m4-huu-4.1.2f.iso.

I think this is the wrong filename. 
NOTE:  When upgrading the CIMC, whatever good intentions there are, DO NOT READ the Cisco instructions about CIMC upgrade because the instructions are incomplete and confusing.  

@Rasika Nayanajith has a well-written instruction/guide about CIMC Upgrade

Hello Leo, 

That is in fact the guide that i'm following but after selecting the virtual DVD, it starts loading the linux environment and there it stops and fails to go further. I never see on this WLC the loading screen, which you should see. Like i said, i already updated multiple 5520's. This is the first time I have an issue with it.

That referenced article just shows the normal HUU process.

I you haven't already, please do a CIMC reboot, and then retry to HUU process.

Kirk..

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Actually found a couple of other cases with same issue.   There is a bug filed for this issue: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvj28676

Please remove the Cavium CN6870C-210NV-M8-PR-G card prior to booting the HUU, and then reinsert after HUU is done.

It appears that the HUU, which is generally created for standard UCS C series servers, doesn't contain any firmware  for that that special use case (appliance) card, or the drivers to correctly scan it while HUU is loading. 

Kirk...

Hey Kirk, 

Thanks for helping out, I will try your suggestion but i want to mention also that this WLC is part of a cluster. The other WLC from that cluster has also the Cavium CN6860C-210NV-M8-PR-G pci-card onboard and that one didn't had the issue and is updated to 4.1.2f.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter21667
Level 1
Level 1

@Kirk J, thanks for the tip. I had the same issue on a second cluster and tried the upgrade where I removed the PCI-card. After the removal of the PCI-card, i was able to upgrade the CIMC.

Thanks,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: