cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Older C220 M4 does not see RAID controller

ghuey
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen others with this issue.  I am attempting to re-purpose this server and requires installation of a local OS.  OS installer does not see any physical disks or virtual disks.  Rebooted expecting to see the option to <CTRL+?> to go into the BIOS and setup my disk.  I am never given that option after Post and the setup does not appear to recognize any such controller.

Honestly I am not sure what controller it is using.  The controller is labeled as UCSC-MRAID12G V01 with two sas cables running to the disks to the front of the server.

I have change and enabled just about everything in the following section of the BIOS with no luck:

BIOS - Advanced - LOM and PCIe Slots Configuration

No matter what I do the controller never shows up under PCIe Inventory.

Not sure if I have a bad controller card or I am missing some setting.  Reset the BIOS to default and still see nothing.  My contract covers hardware replacement but not troubleshooting at this point.

Thanks for everyone's time.

1 Reply 1

Fabián Ramírez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
-Be sure the PCIe lots are enabled on the BIOS.
-Check that the cabling is being done properly, be sure that the SAS cables connect the server´s backplane to the UCSC-MRAID12G V01, short read about cabling:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220M4/install/C220M4/raid.html#70368

-Re-seat the raid controller.
-On the Power-on-self test (POST) you can check if the Raid Controller is being initially recognized.
-A firmware mismatch between the Raid Controller and the other components is a common cause of a Raid Controller not being recognized.
-You can try re-installing the current system firmware with the HUU, that way you could be sure that the Raid Controller Firmware is on a compatible version with the rest of the components.
-If you need the storage with urgency you can try using the Embeded Raid Controller but they only support SATA drives I believe.

If, After that troubleshoot you are still having problems I'd advise to open a case with TAC and to let them know about all the Tshoot you already did.

Hope that helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card