cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Only one vHBA is show up...

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

I put into two identical brand new B200 M4 blades today to a 5108 chassis. The UCS version is 3.1(1h). The blades were discovered and have the necessary profile associated. Now I got major faults about vNICs and vHBA. As showing in attached screenshots, somehow only 1 of 2 vHBAs is up; none of the 6 vNICs are showing up...

If I check the fault, I do have some interface link down (screenshot). But not really know where to look...

BTW, I do have another 2 blades running fine in the same chassis before adding the 2 extra ones. So I know my network and FC links are good.

Ideas? I checked Cisco fault reference doc but they only say do "show tech" and call TAC...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you installed an operating system and installed the correct drivers for enic and fnic accordingly?

If the virtual ethernet interfaces (vEth) are down or un-pinned, it is possible that the OS is not binding to them correctly to bring them online. These faults are expected until this is accomplished. If your "working" blades have an operating system installed on them, it would likely explain the inconsistency.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you installed an operating system and installed the correct drivers for enic and fnic accordingly?

If the virtual ethernet interfaces (vEth) are down or un-pinned, it is possible that the OS is not binding to them correctly to bring them online. These faults are expected until this is accomplished. If your "working" blades have an operating system installed on them, it would likely explain the inconsistency.

Makes sense for the vNICs but what about the vHBAs? Why one shows up but the other shows down (administratively down)? I did verify from the server that vHBAs are all enabled.

This is likely due to the fact the drivers are not loaded. I have seen many cases where if there is no OS installed and no drivers loaded.....the HBA will show administratively down.

Please attempt to install an OS and correct the drivers and confirm this resolves your problem. If it does, please mark this as the correct answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: