Views
Helpful
Replies

PCIe Renumbering

K P SIM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Folks:

Any idea is UCS 2.0(2r) is still having the old bug of 2.0(1#)? After upgrading to UCS 2.0(2r), apparently some of the UCS vNICs have been renumbered as seen in ESXi 5.

This is a full-width blade with 2 adapters.

I have been researching and it looks like 1 way is to edit esx.conf file to put the vmnic back to their original number.

Other option is to use vNIC/vHBA placement policy, but my question is how to do this? Will it work as in UCS, it is still the same old vNIC and vHBA. IT is the VMware which we have seen it being renumbered.

Appreciate some authoritative advices from Cisco guys or someone else.

Cheers.

SiM

2 Replies 2

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi SiM,

Did you upgrade from 1.4? That bug should have been fixed in 2.0(1q). You probably want to call TAC but editing the esx.conf and remapping looks like the easiest workaround.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCts86890

If this is a full width blade, I will assume it is a B250, in that case the bug ID is CSCts96949 .

In any way, this should be fixed on 2.0(1q) and above. If you have upgraded all the UCS system to 2.0(2r) and the issue remains, it seems something else is going on, but can still try to modify the esx.conf file.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card