cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem trying to run SFP+ ports on FI-6324 at 1Gig.

derek.small
Level 5
Level 5

I installed a UCS mini for a customer a few years ago.  We recently added a DMZ segment to their network, and they wanted to use vlan groups in UCS to restrict the DMZ to seperate uplinks connected to an isolated switch.  We originally brought this DMZ up with a spare Cat 9300 they had, but recently deployed redundant 3560CX switches for their DMZ.  We currently have Twin-Ax cables in the first two SFP+ ports to their 9K cores for all their internal Vlans, and Twin-Ax cables in the fourth SPF+ port which also uses TwinAx to the Cat 9300, for their DMZ.  The DMZ doesn't really need 10Gig, so we bought 3560CX switches with 1Gig uplink ports.  I tried configuring the fourth SFP+ ports on each FI for 1Gbps, and UCS did recognize the GLC-TE optics we installed, but we could not get them to link up with the 3560CX switches at 1Gig.

Are there any weird speed restrictions with 6324 FIs that should prevent this from working?

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is Eth1/4 on your UCS Mini configured as a network uplink? Are you using Cisco GLC-TE or 3rd party?

If you connect laptop into the Eth1/4 does the link come up? Any possibility to plug into another switch as a test and see if the link comes up?

I didn't try a laptop, but I tried both a fiber and copper SFP.  The port is currently used for the only uplink port for the DMZ Vlan, using a TwinAx cable, so we have to go down to try anything, that is why I was trying to float this for ideas.  Other than checking/forcing the port speed, I can't think of any reason why it works with TwinAx, but doesn't seem to want to work as a 1Gig port.  I was afraid there was some weird limit that the ASIC required all four SFP+ ports to run at the same speed or something like that, even though you can force the port to do 1Gig in the GUI, and it seems to be correct in the CLI as well.  We just can't get it to link up at 1Gig.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card