cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with booting to VMware ESXi 5.0

Paul Gaydos
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed VMware ESXi 5.0 on a new Cisco UCS B200 series blade with two 300 GB hard drives configured in a RAID 1 Mirrored.  I went through and completed installation of VMware ESXi 5.0 on this server.  When the installation completed and the server rebooted, it did not boot into the ESXi where I can modify the IP address and VLAN.  Instead, I get this string of text after the initial boot sequence that is shown in the attachment.  I get a command prompt that says Shell> Not sure why I cannot boot properly in ESXi 5.0.  Thanks!  Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

Looks like you are booting to the EFI shell. What is the boot policy that you have configured on that server service profile? It should look like the one below.  If this is an issue with the boot order, you should be able to type "EXIT" and then enter on the EFI shell to exit out of the prompt. If your boot policy is like the one below and you are still having this problem, try to decommission and re-ack the blade.

Let me know if this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

Looks like you are booting to the EFI shell. What is the boot policy that you have configured on that server service profile? It should look like the one below.  If this is an issue with the boot order, you should be able to type "EXIT" and then enter on the EFI shell to exit out of the prompt. If your boot policy is like the one below and you are still having this problem, try to decommission and re-ack the blade.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for answering this so quickly. 

I typed EXIT and that solved it! 

Paul

Great, I am glad this worked. Please if I answered your questions don't forget to accept it so other people don't reply to it.

Hi everyone,

I meet this problem also. Always I restart my server it is will appear this shell need to type command (exit).  I am using UCS C460 M4 that I had installed ESXi 5.5. Can someone advice me how to disable this case? (  I am using Raid 1)

Best regards,

Mr.Sokhom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card