Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with multiuser KVM console in UCS 1.4

dors
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

One of the new features introduced in v1.4 which allows multiple KVM sessions, making first session initiated a "superuser" session and further sessions require the superusers' premission to gain KVM console access.

Today I tried gaining KVM Console Access to a server, and have been notified that a session already exists and was offered to request the superuser to share the session with me.

The fact is, that nobody else is accessing the system besides me, which made me think I may have left a session open on another machine. As I couldn't find such, I have tried killing the UCSM session through Admin tab - User Services. I had both local and remote sessions opened (LDAP authenticated) and i've terminated them all, to no luck - cannot access the KVM console.

This brings up the question - is it possible that ghost sessions still occupy the KVM as superusers?

Is there no option for a UCSM admin to force a takeover of a superuser session?

I'd be glad to receive some more information as for how such situation can be handled.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

cpaggen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Within the Service Profile, click on the Server Details tab. From there, click on Recover Server. Select "Reset CIMC (Server Controller)". This will kill existing KVM sessions and allow you to start a new session. Resetting the CIMC does not affect data traffic to/from the server NICs (ethernet and HBAs).

Hey Christophe,

Thanks for your reply!

I'll try out the solution next time I encounter the problem, although I think it will be nice if in future versions there will be a more sophisticated way of managing KVM sessions instead of resetting the CIMC, though it is not affecting traffic .

cpaggen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Indeed. I see internal discussions about resolving this with a more graceful mechanism but I don't see a time frame that I can communicate yet.

Just to add a tiny bit of information there is an option in 1.4 to reset the KVM server directly. See the screen capture.

ssheorai
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have similar issue too with my c460 m2 running 1.4(6d). I somehow managed to get the KVM console option to move but it gets struck at a stage where it says session is already open do you want to share. If i click yes nothing happens as no one accepts the sharing request.

can any one guide as to what can be done to open the KVM console.

Try another browser, or try to kill the sessions within CIMC.

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card