cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about networking

smtichuson
Level 1
Level 1

So I've gotten placed into the role of UCS manager having only a basic understanding of upkeep (currently taking training).  I've noticed some things that I'm curious about but don't know where I should look for more information.

For one.  We were orinigally using port channels to do networking when we had a 1g connection to the core from the FI, now that we're 10g my network team told me that we wouldn't do port channel anymore and what I've got currently setup is 3 connections marked network and 1 connection marked unified uplink 2 Network in FI B and 1 Unified Uplink and 1 network in FI A. 

This seems very incorrect to me but I also can't seem to set the unified uplink port back to a network port (I don't see that as a configure choice).

If anyone has some good info on what I really need to be looking at that'll be great but if you've run into a similar issue that would be awesome.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sean,

Doing a deeper research in our data base I found that  this has  no problems and actually is saying that it works as uplink port  for  FCoE and Ethernet at the same time and it should show up under the  LAN  and SAN tab as uplink ports.

We set the role of the port to either "Network",  "FCoEUplink" or "UnifiedUplink" based on whehter the port is used as an  ethernet uplink, fcoe uplink or both.

If you go to the LAN/SAN tab and check the interface you should be able  to see the interface as uplink for both as these are Unified Ports that  can be FC or Eth ports.

Can you try to unconfigure the port from the  "Equipment"  tab? the LAN/SAN tabs will only let you delete/disable the  interface, and then just configure it as LAN OR SAN uplink?

Let me know what happens.

Rate ALL helpful answers.

-Kenny

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Sean,

Could you please clarify a little bit more on the following:

1) Links going to LAN are ports that need to be configured as "uplink" ports, how many of those you have on FI-A and how many on FI-B?

2) Any chance you can share a small diagram?

3) Have you tried to "unconfigure" the port and set it to the desired configuration?

-Kenny

Thought I'd try a screen shot.  When we first setup we did 2 port channels because we only had a 1gb connection running so from switch a we had a port channel on fabric a and from another switch we had a port channel on fabric b.

When we went to 10 gig the network guys took and let us hook both switches into both FI's so on A we have a connection from each switch.  And on B we have a connection from each switch thus removing the port channels. 

So now they are all listed as Eth uplinks back to their switches.  But if this graphic shows up you can see that one of our connections on A is set as Unified Uplink and that doesn't seem right to me.

Sean,

Doing a deeper research in our data base I found that  this has  no problems and actually is saying that it works as uplink port  for  FCoE and Ethernet at the same time and it should show up under the  LAN  and SAN tab as uplink ports.

We set the role of the port to either "Network",  "FCoEUplink" or "UnifiedUplink" based on whehter the port is used as an  ethernet uplink, fcoe uplink or both.

If you go to the LAN/SAN tab and check the interface you should be able  to see the interface as uplink for both as these are Unified Ports that  can be FC or Eth ports.

Can you try to unconfigure the port from the  "Equipment"  tab? the LAN/SAN tabs will only let you delete/disable the  interface, and then just configure it as LAN OR SAN uplink?

Let me know what happens.

-Kenny

I understand what you're saying but I'm nervous about doing a configure change like that in prodcution during work hours.  I will try this during our next maintence window and see what happens.

Thanks!

Sean,

That's fine, anyways, that does not mean there is a failure/error anywhere, it only means what the port is configured for.

Good luck!

If I answered your question, please mark it as "answered" so we can keep track of questions that need resolution.

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card