Views
Helpful
Replies

Question - Cisco Hyperflex Licensing

IC2317
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know that, do we need to buy separate ESXi licenses if we deploy Cisco Hyperlex on VMware ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is generally true.

I believe that you would have had to purchase one of the OEM VMware licenses (HX-VSP.....) in order to purchase the ISV1 support.

There may be other options with the Solutions Support contracts, but you would want to contact your Cisco sales account team to see what options are available for your specific scenario.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

HI @IC2317 ,

Cisco Hyperflex nodes come with a pre-installed Cisco specific version* of VMWare ESXi, and is fully functional using an evaluatoin licence.  It is up to you to ensure that you have sufficient VMware ESXi licences to cover the ESXi nodes.

When ordering the ESXi package from Cisco, VMWare licencing is an added option you can choose. The advantage of buying the ESXi licences from Cisco is that you will get Cisco support for the Hyperflex AND VMware portions of your kit from the one place.

*ESXi nodes have the Hyperflex VIBs installed into operating system so you don't have to do it

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

If we buy ESXi license from Cisco, does it mean that hypervisor level support will be provided by Cisco ?

Hi @IC2317 ,

Hopefully a Cisco employee will confirm, but my understanding is that Cisco will provide support for HX ESXi node Hypervisor related issues if you bought the licence through them. Many Cisco employees have a large degree of expertise with VMware - Cisco has been working closely with VMware for over a decade.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In the VMware world, you have a license, which is a right to use software, and then you have support, which is an additional, separate item.

Cisco has options like ISV1 type contracts where Cisco TAC will triage and resolve most ESXi issues, and will involve VMware support on the back end if needed.  Provides single point of contact scenario.

If you purchase no Vmware level support (or it's expired), then Cisco will still help triage and resolve Hyperflex related ESXi issues, but you will be expected to work with VMware to work through non-Hyperflex/UCS issues.

Kirk...

Thanks for the update. It means, If I use my existing VMware license on Hyperflex Servers then Cisco will only provide hyperflex related issues and for any issues related to Hypervisor we'll have to contact VMware ?

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is generally true.

I believe that you would have had to purchase one of the OEM VMware licenses (HX-VSP.....) in order to purchase the ISV1 support.

There may be other options with the Solutions Support contracts, but you would want to contact your Cisco sales account team to see what options are available for your specific scenario.

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: