cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rack-server discovery on UCS manager

PetterOne
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few rack-mount servers (C220 M3) spread around our data center, with Flash based CIMC GUI. To get around the Flash problem, I was thinking about hocking them up to a UCS manager (UCS 6248UP: which uses HTML5 instead of Flash).

What is the bare minimum for the UCS manager to discovery these servers?

I'm creating a designated CIMC VLAN that I'm routing to the UCS manager. Will that work? How should I terminate it on the UCS manager?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c-series_integration/ucsm4-0/b_C-Series-Integration_UCSM4-0/b_C-Series-Integration_UCSM4-0_chapter_01.html#reference_pdx_bgg_vdb for minimum versions and hardware combination requirements.

You can just use your OOB IP pool, like the existing one for you blades, to assign mgmt IPs to the rack server CIMCs.

You don't need to go through the trouble of setting up an 'in band', seperate IP Pool, and related config, unless you have no available IP addresses available in your OOB block, that is in same subnet as your UCSM VIP and FI node IPs.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c-series_integration/ucsm4-0/b_C-Series-Integration_UCSM4-0/b_C-Series-Integration_UCSM4-0_chapter_01.html#reference_pdx_bgg_vdb for minimum versions and hardware combination requirements.

You can just use your OOB IP pool, like the existing one for you blades, to assign mgmt IPs to the rack server CIMCs.

You don't need to go through the trouble of setting up an 'in band', seperate IP Pool, and related config, unless you have no available IP addresses available in your OOB block, that is in same subnet as your UCSM VIP and FI node IPs.

Kirk...

PetterOne
Level 1
Level 1

Yes. That sounds like the easiest solution!

If I wanted a separate IP pool for these random servers. How do I go about getting them discovered by the UCS manager. How do I terminate such a VLAN to the FI?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card