cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rebuild HDD

teclesoft2022
Level 1
Level 1

We have a C220 M3 server, and one of its HDs has a problem, as we had another server of the same model but without use, we removed the HD and replaced it, however the rebuild did not start. I would like to know if when changing the HD of this server the rebuild starts automatically or do we have to perform some other procedure?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like a very big problem. Are you able to check the upstream switch that is connected to the CIMC port, get the MAC address and map the MAC address to IP address?

Only other way would be to obtain physical access to the C220-M3, launch KVM and reboot the server and check.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, the rebuild should start automatically. You would need to login to the CIMC and check the status of the new disk to understand what is happening. 

I tried to do this, log in to CIMC, but the operating system was reinstalled and they didn't put the CISCO utilities at the time, so I don't have the CIMC available to use, I tried to download it from the cisco website and I couldn't find it, could you tell me the link to install the CIMC and get access?

You would access CIMC by just browsing the IP address you have configured on the server hardware. If this is C220-M3 chances are you will need flash to access the device.

The server is really a C220-M3. Before posting I had tried to access via browser using the server's IP and/or localhost, but without success, then I found out that on this server the operating system installed was a Windows8, in this case there is a way to install CIMC on this windows8 ?

You cannot install CIMC on the host OS. You may be able to use Storcli commands to check the status of the HDD.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/115020-intro-lsi-megacli-00.html 

You can also attempt to SSH to the CIMC IP address, login, and check the status of the HDD from there. 

That's the big problem, is there any way to find out the IP address of CMIC, and I dont have a dongle cable for access to console.

Sounds like a very big problem. Are you able to check the upstream switch that is connected to the CIMC port, get the MAC address and map the MAC address to IP address?

Only other way would be to obtain physical access to the C220-M3, launch KVM and reboot the server and check.

As the HD I put to replace the old one didn't work, I removed (hot-swap) and put the old one again and to my surprise after some time the server beeping and alarming the HD light it synchronized and now apparently everything is fine.. Using the MegaCli command line I was able to extract data from the HD and they are all healthy. I'm now looking to resolve the issue of access to the CIMC so that the next time I need it everything will be easier and more documented.

I don't know what it would be (switch that is connected to the CIMC port) or what the CIMC port is. But if I know the MAC of the network card I am able to assign via DHCP SERVER an IP address for that MAC, if the card is configured to receive address via a DHCP server and is not configured as a FIXED IP.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card