cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Register with UCS Central: stuck at Register Fsm

marcel.balan
Level 1
Level 1

Deployed UCS Central 1.3(1b). Successfully registered one domain.

The registration of the 2nd domain got stuck. (see screen fsm_status.png)

Repair State: Done
Registration Status: Registering

FSM Status: In Progress
Current FSM Name: Register Fsm

descr="Register FSM Execute(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:ExtpolEpRegisterFsm:Execute)"
 dn="extpol/fsm/stage-RegisterFsmExecute"
 lastUpdateTime="2015-07-28T23:38:04"
 name="RegisterFsmExecute"
 order="1"
 retry="13"

The 2nd domain shows up in UCS Central, but no info on the domain/inventory  is available although the Inventory Status is OK. 
Tried a few times to "unregister from UCS Central" and Register again. Same result: the process gets stuck at "Register FSM"

12 Replies 12

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Firewall issue ?

Continuous communications between UCS Central and all subordinate UCS domains
require permit read/write access on the following ports:

LOCKD_TCPPORT=32803
MOUNTD_PORT=892
RQUOTAD_PORT=875
STATD_PORT=32805
NFS_PORT="nfs"(2049)
RPC_PORT="sunrpc"(111)
HTTPS_PORT=”https”(443)

both domains have the exact same firewall rules (which include the above mentioned ports) applied to them.

Both running UCSM 2.2(2c). the environments are almost 100% identical in configuration (1st domain has C240 server while the 2nd doesn't)

The difference is that  1st domain is located on the same site as UCS Central Server while 2nd domain is in a site on a different continent.

Marcel

Can you please check the latency with ping !

https://communities.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/35264-5-73372/UCS%20Central%20Best%20Practices%20v2.3.1.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-central/install-upgrade/1-3/b_Cisco_UCSC_Install_and_Upgrade_Guide_1-3.pdf

Managing Cisco UCS Domains in Remote Locations

To manage Cisco UCS domains in remote locations such as remote branch offices, the following are the minimum requirements for network connectivity between Cisco UCS domain and Cisco UCS Central:

• Bandwidth - 1.5 Mbps or higher

• Latency - 500 ms (round trip) or lower

Walter,

thanks for your reply.

there is more than 10Mbps between the sites and it's mostly unused.

The Latency is ~80 ms round trip.

I'm thinking about moving UCS Central VM to the 2nd site and try re-registering the domains see if the will still have this issue, but i would prefer to avoid it.

After 10 days of vacation (i'm highlighting the importance of good rest) I checked again the connections and it turns out the firewall between the sites was misconfigured: not allowing traffic from UCS central server to the UCS Domain IP in the remote site. Once the misconfiguration was fixed the UCS Central was able to connect to the remote UCS. The FSM status is now : Success

is there any other domain that is not in the same UCS Central domain which is successfully registered?

-Kenny

Keny,

Not sure I understand the question.

We only have two UCS domains.

That's what I was asking, if there was a third domain working fine...

I think a TAC case is your best bet here.

-Kenny

well the third domain will come only only in a few weeks. Would prefer to have UCS Central running and registration issues already figured out :).

Wanted to open a case but decided to give the support community a try :)

good :) just there are some things we need to see live to better understand/debug what could be going on :)

If anyone has any other idea, it will be welcome though

-Kenny

arun20001
Level 1
Level 1

Marcel,

where you able to fix this issue, I'm having the same issue too (stuck at Register Fsm Execute)?

Thanks

Arun,

Marcel reported that it was a firewall issue.

Make sure to check and ensure that all the required ports are opened (refer to Walter's reply).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card