cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reinstall ESXi on ucs-c240 (using CIMC?)

an.leon.li
Level 1
Level 1

hi, I am wondering what is the best way to reinstall ESXi on a UCS C240.

If I "clear boot drive" using CIMC, does it kinda like format the logic disk? so that i can reinstall? 

i need to reinstall a lower ESXi on a freshly installed UCS due to the vCentre's version lower than the installed ESXi. 

Please advise..

thanks! 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Mounting the ESXi install ISO via vKVM, and running the installer when existing partitions are present, will trigger a menu to choose from several options:

• Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS datastores
  • Install ESXi, preserve VMFS datastores
  • Install ESXi, overwrite VMFS datastores.

Either one of the "install" ESXi options will delete and recreate the OS and boot related partitions fresh.

the Preserve/overwrite datastore option lets you decide if you want to retain the datastore partitions if you have guest VMs stored there.

Thanks,

Kirk...

View solution in original post

Correct. Press F6 during boot up and select the virtually mounted KVM vDVD/CD boot option if using vMedia. Run the ISO and follow the prompts and you'll be good.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Mounting the ESXi install ISO via vKVM, and running the installer when existing partitions are present, will trigger a menu to choose from several options:

• Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS datastores
  • Install ESXi, preserve VMFS datastores
  • Install ESXi, overwrite VMFS datastores.

Either one of the "install" ESXi options will delete and recreate the OS and boot related partitions fresh.

the Preserve/overwrite datastore option lets you decide if you want to retain the datastore partitions if you have guest VMs stored there.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Thanks Kirk,

How do I run the installer? boot from the mounted vDVD? 

Correct. Press F6 during boot up and select the virtually mounted KVM vDVD/CD boot option if using vMedia. Run the ISO and follow the prompts and you'll be good.

thanks guys,

i will give that a go. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card