Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove Missing Host Firmware Package

Sgiesbrecht
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a few errors in my UCS that I believe are caused by some firmware being deleted. I'm getting the following errors:

blade-controller image with vendor Cisco Systems Inc, model N20-B6620-2 and version 3.1(1e) is deleted

blade-controller image with vendor Cisco Systems Inc, model N20-B6620-1 and version 3.1(1e) is deleted

I am running 3.1.1e and when I look under Host Firmware packages under the Servers tab I have 3.1.1 listed and under that I have both of the above pieces listed:

PID:N20-B6620-1
Vendor:Cisco Systems Inc
Version:3.1(1e)
Presence:Missing

PID:N20-B6620-2
Vendor:Cisco Systems Inc
Version:3.1(1e)
Presence:Missing

It looks like I can delete these item from this list; however, I'm not sure that this will not have any adverse affects on my systems. Can someone please give me some direction on this, as I might be looking at the wrong thing, or missing something.

Thanks,
Scott
10 Replies 10

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this UCSM domain managed by UCS central?

Kirk...

No. We use "Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) Manager"

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should be able to just delete the Host Firmware packages, that contain those specific images (that are triggering the error), and then re-upload (called download task) the same B series firmware bundle.

Deleting the hostfirmware package may trigger additional alerts if you are actively referencing the host firmware packages in question, but should clear once you re-upload them.

Kirk...

Ok I will look at scheduling a time to delete these two pieces. I was hoping that because these two pieces were referencing older blade models that I don't have I could just remove them. I'll have to schedule this in case it causes an outage.

Thanks,
Scott

It's the overall Host Firmware package that is generating the alerts for the packages.

If you click on the host firmware package, general  tab, 'show policy usage', you can see if anything is referencing the host firmware policy.  If the list is empty,, then you can indeed just delete the host firmware package, and be done with it.

Kirk...

Firmware.PNG

If I click on the highlighted "show policy usage" this is being used. 

Firmware2.PNG

I just am not sure if I delete the highlighted parts here if it will affect the items deployed by the policy linked above.

If that Host Firmware package was created in advanced mode (instead of simple) then you can selectively reference/select those individual packages from the Host Firmware package.

Not sure if that will clear the alert or not.

Did you determine if you actually have any service profiles/service profile templates referencing the host firmware package?

If not,  just delete the host firmware policy.

Thanks,

Kirk...

The 3.1.1 host firmware package is being used in a number of policies. So I know I cannot delete the entire package I was hoping I could delete these two items out of the package without causing issues.

Hi,

Starting with Cisco UCS Manager Release 3.1(1e) the models what you listed were Deprecated. Because of that, you see those two CIMC versions are showing as missing.

More details check in below link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/CiscoUCSManager-RN-3-1.html

That is what I was thinking, thanks for confirming this for me. Can I delete these pieces from the package or should I leave them there? Because they are deprecated and I am not using them I would think it would be ok to delete them, but I don't want to cause myself more issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: