cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing a vNIC Template from a vNIC on a LAN Connectivity Policy.

scott72
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to non-disruptively remove a vNIC template from a vNIC tied to LAN Connectivity policy?

I need to enable failover on the fabric, but since a consultant wanted us to use the same vNIC template for ESX and a Windows SQL Baremetal blade, we now have a dilemma.  ESX is using active/active so we had to disable failover, but active/active NIC teaming on Windows is causing MAC flapping since LACP is not supported on the FIs.

I am guessing I am going to have to create a new vNIC template, and change it on the LAN connectivity policy, but that is going to potentially cause some problems.

.vnic 1.PNGvnic2.PNG

Any help is much appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

You are going to have to adjust multiple items...

• Assuming your ESXi and Windows SPs are using a separate SP template:
    • Create new Vnic templates to match your failover requirements
    • Create new LAN connectivity policy referencing your new vnic templates
      • Alternately, you can directly reference your vnic templates in your service profile template, network section.
  • If you are using same SP templates for everything, then  you would need to split out your ESXi and Windows SP templates, to reference your various LAN connectivity policies.

I don't think you can avoid a reboot.

Theoretically, applying another lan connectivity policy with same number of vnics, with same eth names, referencing the same MAC pools, 'might' apply without a reboot, but I doubt it.  Enabling 'failover' always requires a reboot regardless.

Kirk...

Thanks, yeah I don't mind a reboot.  I am just worried about re-ordering of vNICS, and MAC address changes since they are tied to a NIC team on the Windows side.  There are separate SP templates for the ESX and Windows, they are just using a common vNIC template which is the problem.

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't enable fabric failover on vNICs without reboot of server.

Regards,

MJ 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: