Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing uplinks from IOM.

Joakim A
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are currently running above our licensing with 4 uplinks in IOM-1 and 2 in IOM-2. We wish to fix this by unplugging the 2 extra uplinks to remove the ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG error, hopefully without any disruptions.

I've been searching around the web for answers to this question but I haven't found any conclusive information on the subject. Sometimes it is mentioned as a disruptive task where we have to re-acknowledge the chassis and in other cases it isn't. Since this is a production environment and I'm unsure as to the procedure I'm hoping to find some definitive answers here.

Would it be disruptive and what are the steps involved?

We're currently running Chassis/FEX Discovery Policy at 1-link/Port Channel in UCSM 2.2(6e) with FI 6248UP's.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have previously discovered the chassis with 4 links, then the servers will attempt to pin to those interfaces unless you remove them from configuration.

You should be able to remove the links and then only re-acknowledge the IOM which you removed the interfaces. If your redundancy is setup correctly, this will cause no downtime, however, we recommend conducting the change during off-peak hours.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have previously discovered the chassis with 4 links, then the servers will attempt to pin to those interfaces unless you remove them from configuration.

You should be able to remove the links and then only re-acknowledge the IOM which you removed the interfaces. If your redundancy is setup correctly, this will cause no downtime, however, we recommend conducting the change during off-peak hours.

Am I understanding you correctly in that I'm supposed to "unconfigure" the ports I wish to remove from the FI, unplug the cables and then "re-ack" the IOM?
Does the "unconfigure" command make currently pinned servers fail over onto the remaining ports?

You can just shut them down, you dont need to unconfigure them, but it would effectively do the same thing.

Yes, when you disabled the ports or uncofigure them, the servers that are pinned to these NIF will re-pin. If you are utilizing port-channels, then the vNIC will NOT re-pin, as they are pinned to the port-channel, not the individual NIF.

Thank you! :)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: