Views
Helpful
Replies

Requirements to implement WAAS

datance11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking information for the requirements for implement WAAS on a client's network.

It will be really helpful if you could share information with me.

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/wide-area-application-services/index.html

You need a Central Manager.  This can be a WAVE appliance or a virtual WAAS box.

You need devices at the end of each WAN link.  You can use dedicated appliances like the WAVE appliances, or routers.  With regard to the routers you can use WAAS express which is integrated into IOS/IOS-XE or a WAAS module.  "WAAS Express" which cheap is a poor imitation of the WAAS modules or WAVE appliances.

WAVE appliances:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/wide-area-application-services-waas-appliances/data_sheet_c78-685554.html

My client has a router for this purpose. So i can install central manager in this router and connected in the datacenter?

now i have a doubt with the other side of the wan link. It could be either a dedicated appliances or another router? it could be a server?. 

thanks in advance

I don't know if the CentralManager can run on a router.  You would normally run it on a WAVE appliance, or run the virtual version in VMWare.

You can mix and match the devices on each end of the link - but you do need a device on each end.  The DC should probably have a full WAVE appliance.

we are going to use a cisco router 2911.

so, in this router i have to install a WAE. 

Can i install the other WAE in a Serie C server?.

i think i have the main idea. 

Thanks for your help!

The 2911 will need an AX licence.  You can then run WAAS Express on the router itself, or install a computer module and run WAAS on that (may not be supported on 2911's anymore, don't know), or get a WAVE appliance.

You can install a virtual WAAS on a server that is running VMWare.  Then the 2911 will redirect the traffic to the virtual appliance using WCCP.

Hi Philip!

i think i have the big idea. but still, i don't know where i have to install the vCM. 

this is the idea:

-at the branch office i will install an ISR Router 2911 with a E-Serie with ESXi. (this server will have an vWAAS)

-At the data center will be a Serie C with VmWare, also with vWAAS.

is this a good visualization?

Correct.  The central manager would normally go at the DC.  It controls all the WAAS modules and appliances.

so i have to install vCM and the vWAAS in the same server? or the vCM is also a vWAAS device?

The are different appliances, but you could deploy both of them on the same physical server.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card