cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset the In-Band managed IP in UCS Central using UCS Central PowerTools

Sagar Srinivasa
Level 1
Level 1

I have deleted and created a new UCS In-Band IP pool and I need the deployed Global service profiles to get a new IP from this new pool. I know this can be done in WebInterface (GUI) by clickeing on the "reassign" button, but since I have more than 300+ global service profiles, I need a way to script it.

I was able to find the UcsCentralCmdletMeta Noun for the in-Band IP - "UcsCentralVnicIpV4MgmtPooledAddr". And when I run this command - "Get-UcsCentralServiceProfile | %{ $_ | Get-UcsCentralVnicIpV4MgmtPooledAddr }", I get all the assigned Mgmt IPs.

But how do I go about resetting those so they drop current IP and pick a new one from pool? How do I get the different parameters needed to run "Set-UcsCetralVnicIpV4MgmtPooledAddr"

Thanks,

Sagar

10 Replies 10

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sagar

Did you create a new pool, or just modified the IP addresses in the current pool ?

If you do the latter, I think the SP's keep the old IP address, even if you would delete the whole IP range. This applies as long as the SP exists.

This is different for the CIMC IP address which each blade gets (even without a associated SP); here you could delete the IP address pool, create a new one, and the blade in each slot got a new IP address.

Therefore to force a new IP for each of your SP's, create a new pool and reference it in the SP; I assume you have a template, which would make this much easier.

Okay, I just recalled and double checked, that the IP pool was *not* modified, instead we created a new pool and changed the In-Band pool to this new pool on the Global Service Profile Template. (I have edited the initial questions). So it should have reassigned the IPs, but I still see old IPs assigned to each Global SP.

Is there any other way in command line to do this?

Appreciate your reply!

Did you verify if the SP references the new pool ?

Do you have update profile template ?

Do you have a maintenace policy asking for a ack ?

Did you verify if the SP references the new pool ?

Yes, when I change the pool, I see the new pool in the "assigned ID pool" but the "Resolved ID pool" still points to older one and the assigned ID shows older IP. Unless I click the reassign button, the IP stays same and even when I click on launch KVM, it tries to use the old IP to launch and fails out.

Do you have update profile template ?

Yes, I updated the template which is of type "Updating". As soon as I change the pool in updated template, I see it pushing the config changes to all GSPs deployed from it. But like I said, it stays in "Assigned ID Pool"

Do you have a maintenance policy asking for a ack ?

I do, have a maintenance policy for ack, but once I change the pool on the updating template, I don't see the "Pending Changes" field changing to "Yes" on the service profiles.

Yes, when I change the pool, I see the new pool in the "assigned ID pool" but the "Resolved ID pool" still points to older one and the assigned ID shows older IP. Unless I click the reassign button, the IP stays same and even when I click on launch KVM, it tries to use the old IP to launch and fails out.

try to remove (delete) the old pool in the template completely, and then add the new one.

Did that. And now I see the new pool in both "Assigned ID pool" and "Resolved ID pool", but still the IP it has is from the old blocks in old deleted pool.

Did you try this same procedure (remove pool, then add new pool) from UCS manager ?

Q. are this pools defined in UCS Central ?

I am dealing with UCS Central only.

I got an update on the opened SR 682524520 with Cisco. Got a response that they don't support running PowerTool scripts (That was first time I ever got such response). I would have to buy additional support from DevNet for assistance with UCS Central PowerTool. Well they could have just given a workaround or CLI command or something. 

Hello,

It might be very late response but wanted to share info on places where you can get help help for UCS plugin and tools ( powertool ) 

https://communities.cisco.com/community/technology/datacenter/compute-and-storage/ucs_management/cisco_ucs_developed_integrations

you can also send email to ucs-powertool@cisco.com 

Thanks

Padma

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: