Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore CIMC password

Mariusz.Z
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got C220-M4 server located far away in data center. The problem is that I became server owner, however previous owner could not provide credentials to CIMC. So, I've got CIMC IP address but I cannot log-in.

Is there any way to reset CIMC password/access from Windows level? There is Windows 2012 installed on server and I've got admin rights.

Regards,

Mariusz

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, you will need access to the physical console, to get into the F8 CIMC settings where you can reset this.

I'm assuming you tried the default user ID of 'admin' and password of 'password' ?

Kirk...

===============================================
Please mark correctly answered posts as Solved and Helpful, so others searching for same issue can more easily find the solution.

Yeah, I already tried "password", "Cisco", "Cisco1234", "Cisco12345", "Cisco123" and similar combinations using upper and lower case.

I'm not happy to hear that physical access is necessary :( but thanks for the answer.

It is a huge problem for me, as security team asked to disable some options currently enabled under CIMC IP address, and without remote access it could be quite complicated.

Hi Leo

I did a review of materials available under link you shared me and Workaround #3 looks nice, however it could be used only if CIMC password is already known.

As far as I know Dell developed some Powershell script for this kind of situation to restore DRAC default password remotely by server admin, so I assumed Cisco should provide similar script, but it looks like I was wrong :(

Thanks

Mariusz

I suspect that would be some sort of IPMItool utility that would have to be run locally on the machine with the BMC in question.

Your OS would need to have the IPMItool package installed, and maybe something like:

sudo ipmitool user set password 2

where 2 usually represents the 2nd user,  superuser/admin account in the BMC.

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card