Views
Helpful
Replies

Runing both 220V and 110V power supply at the same time

MrTan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Is it possible to run a C220 M5 server with one power supply plugged into 220V and the other power supply plugged into 110V at the same time?

Appreciate any response,

Ron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

This is not the intended configuration, and is definitely not supported for extended use.

I suspect which ever PSU comes online first will set the expected voltage levels.

I think this will cause issues for the power backplane that is handling power load balancing and redundancy, and is expecting symmetrical sources.

While this might 'work' , you would be plagued with never ending alerts and errors from the CIMC for the PSUs.

You also typically get less wattage output from the PSUs in 110 mode.

You are welcome to put in a TAC case and pose that question, for which TAC would probably reach out to the Product managers for a more formal response.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

its really odd requirement, what is the use case here.. people have either 220 or 110, i have seen the requirement convert 220 to 110 volts and use it due to PSU purchaed 110V one.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

One PDU is conncetd to a 220V electric network and the other PDU is connected to a 110V electric network. This is a live environment and I need to make sure that this kind of configuration is supported.

As per my understand and document, depends on the PSU you purchased and installed. (high level i do not believe it support, until you purchased 2 different PSU and installed in it).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220M5/install/C220M5/C220M5_appendix_011.html#concept_ryp_wmv_jz

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the link however the article only says what kind of Voltage you can use with you power supply, it does not say if mixing a 220V and a 110V is supported.

770W & 1050W AC Input Voltage - Nominal range: 100–120 VAC, 200–240 VAC

1600W AC Input Voltage - Nominal range: 200–240 VAC

I'm using the 1050W one, so both can work for me but can they work together?

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

This is not the intended configuration, and is definitely not supported for extended use.

I suspect which ever PSU comes online first will set the expected voltage levels.

I think this will cause issues for the power backplane that is handling power load balancing and redundancy, and is expecting symmetrical sources.

While this might 'work' , you would be plagued with never ending alerts and errors from the CIMC for the PSUs.

You also typically get less wattage output from the PSUs in 110 mode.

You are welcome to put in a TAC case and pose that question, for which TAC would probably reach out to the Product managers for a more formal response.

Kirk...

Thank you very much

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: