cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running Windows repair when booting to SAN

c.hirchert
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question I can't seem to find any answer to.  We have many UCS blades running Windows 2012 R2 that are booting to SAN.  Recently, we needed to try a repair while booting to the windows media.  When booting to the media, the server does not see the connected SAN disk and automatically sets the C drive as a USB device, therefore you are not able to get to the OS drive at all.  Does anyone know how to successfully run windows repair, allowing access to the OS drive from command prompt in a boot from SAN environment?

2 Replies 2

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI,

You have to manually inject the drivers and create a windows customized ISO image.

Here a link to help you in the process:

http://www.derekseaman.com/2012/10/inject-cisco-ucs-drivers-into-windows.html

Richard

Hello, 

I agree you will need to inject the FNIC drivers into your OS Media in order to mount the storage. There is another element which is not abundantly clear; is your boot media being mounted as C: or is there another USB device in the server? Maybe FlexFlash? 

The boot media should be mounted as X: when Windows loads the Pre-Executable environment. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card