cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SAN boot Lun ID

navinjk1974
Level 1
Level 1

Hi We are setting our New Hitachi Storage, and wanted to know if we need to use Lun ID as 0 for boot lun ? or can we have any number as the Lun ID . Please review and respond.

A

lso can i just have only one WWN each for the Primary and Secondary Targets, what are the risks here if a Cisco UCS FI is rebooted or a Switch ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Generally LUN 0 is used for the boot LUN, but you can adjust the target boot LUN when you are adding a 'SAN Boot Target' in your boot policy.  You might want to research the OS you are planning on installing to make sure there are no caveats for it when deviating from LUN 0.

You are allowed Primary and 2ndary boot target wwpns for two vHBAs (max of 4 wwpn targets).

Assuming your storage targets and your initiators are corrected zoned and the targets are available, a problem with one of the boot paths (i.e. FI was down or being rebooted) would result in the 2nd vHBA attempting boot from it's defined wwpns.

Thanks,

Kirk

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mostly (best practise) Boot LUN id 0 is used ! don't see any reason why this cannot be implemented. Some OS might also have restrictions.

Do you mean wwnn or wwpn ? wwpn have to be different for primary / secondary target.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Generally LUN 0 is used for the boot LUN, but you can adjust the target boot LUN when you are adding a 'SAN Boot Target' in your boot policy.  You might want to research the OS you are planning on installing to make sure there are no caveats for it when deviating from LUN 0.

You are allowed Primary and 2ndary boot target wwpns for two vHBAs (max of 4 wwpn targets).

Assuming your storage targets and your initiators are corrected zoned and the targets are available, a problem with one of the boot paths (i.e. FI was down or being rebooted) would result in the 2nd vHBA attempting boot from it's defined wwpns.

Thanks,

Kirk

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card