Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Noise

zamoranoco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My client have a BE6M SERVER  and he says every 10 minutes and during 10 seconds they listen from server a big noise that seems from the FAN.

The room is with air conditioned and the temperature is 20ºC. Looking at the admin tools seems the server is on normal conditions.

Someone knows what could be this noise?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

I would open a TAC case, and have them review the CIMC logs.

If your ROC chip on the raid controller hits 85 degrees, it will cause the Rack server to rev the fans really high.  

Depending on your CIMC version, if you have versions under 2.03i, you can run into memory leak conditions in the CIMC.  During memory leak conditions you can get a variety of Fan control issues, where they stay maxed out.

Short term, you may want to reboot the CIMC under the Admin Tab, Utilities, reboot CIMC.  This does not require an outage, as the Server itself will stay powered on, and OS will continue to run.

If this resolves it short term, then I would consider upgrading to a CIMC version of 2.03i or higher.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card