Views
Helpful
Replies

Service Profile moving from one SubOrganization to another

fbroussey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I wondered what impact there is to move a service profile which is associated to a server in a UCS 5108 Chassis, from one sub-Organization to another. If there is no impact , should I stop the server before doing so ?

Thanks for your help and your experience return about that ..

Regards,

6 Replies 6

bmoody
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

fbroussey,

I tried this in the lab on the latest code, I did not see a move option. What happens (drag and drop) is that the service profile is copied to the other sub-organization. I did not see any impact on the server association because of the copy. The server remained associated to the original service profile under the original sub orgainzation. What you end up with is a copy of the service profile under the new sub-organization that is not associated to a server.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill

We have a similiar requirement but if we perform drag & drop option, the newly copied server profile will get new identity (MAC ID, WWPN, WWNN, UUID) and it still needs to be edited manully in order to get access to all the resources which it had in the old service profile.

Thanks

Raghu

Essentially when you drag and drop a service profiles, you are making a clone of it into another sub org. If it were to take all the MAC, WWPN, etc from the working service profile, it would cause a configuration conflict.

In order to complete the move, you may need to un-assign the service profile from the original blade, make necessary changes to orgs, remove the original SP, and then re-apply the new service profile to the blade.

Let me know if you have questions.

--Wes

I think the current situation is still, that we support changing the SP name (online, nondisruptive), without changing the org; if all the pools would be located under root, the situation would be easy, however, the general case, is complicated and requires extensive checks.

Yes we have service profile rename option in UCSM 2.1 and above which will help to rename the service profile online and also offline but will not help in moving the service profile from one sub-organisation to another sub-organisation.

If we perform drag and drop action, service profile will be created with the vendor provided device identification numbers like MAC, WWNN, WWPN which can be later changed manually as per the information captured from the original service profile which will be modified.

Thanks

Raghu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card