cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Service profile resource issue

M TORCH
Level 1
Level 1

I am having an issue associating a service profile to a blade. The error I am receiving when I attempt to assoicate the profile is:

Failure Reason: advanced boot or secure boot configuration cannot be applied to the specific server      There are not enough resources

Environment:

New deployment of:

1ea - UCS 5108 Chassis

2ea - IOM-2208

2ea - 6248 FI

3ea - B230M2 Blades w/ UCS-VIC-M82-8P

Firmware: 2.2.1(b)

The service profile is configured to boot from SAN using two vHBA adapters (Fabric A & Fabric B). The boot targets are configured correctly. The service profile also has four vNICs conifgured each in different VLANs.

The boot policy is set to Enforce vNIC/vHBA/iSCSI Name Selected, Boot Mode: Legacy.  Boot order is set to: Remote CD/DVD Order: 1 and SAN Order: 2. Under SAN there is a SAN Primary and SAN Secondary configured each with Primary and Secondary targets set to LUN 0 with the WWN of the array WWN for each interface.

The SAN is zoned correctly, the array LUNs are presented to the correct vSANs.

I have been over every detail of the service profile and the configuration, it is nearly a mirror of another UCS instance at a different location that I had setup previously and cannot see why there would be a resource issue.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Looks like you are hitting the following defect CSCun10760.  The workaround for this issue is to set "Legacy CD/DVD” not “Local” or “Remote” in your boot order policy (see screenshot)

Legacy Boot should disable (grey-out) invalid options for 2nd order boot

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCun10760

Let me know if this works.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Looks indeed very strange:

I would remove the following and check again

The boot policy is set to Enforce vNIC/vHBA/iSCSI Name Selected

No change - Same error message when applying the profile to a blade.

I have also tried applying the service profile to other like blades with the same results.

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Looks like you are hitting the following defect CSCun10760.  The workaround for this issue is to set "Legacy CD/DVD” not “Local” or “Remote” in your boot order policy (see screenshot)

Legacy Boot should disable (grey-out) invalid options for 2nd order boot

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCun10760

Let me know if this works.

M TORCH
Level 1
Level 1

You Rock!!! - Thank you for the help

Mike

Hi,

i have still the same problem. I checked the legacy boot, but all I tried i got the same issue.

Have someone another goog idea?

Thanks

Jens

R. Clayton Miller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So let's clarify the solution here:  2nd order boot was introduced for M3 blades

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_1_chapter_011111.html#concept_F6AF7F0342224EF28B65ABC2C382FFB1

Second-level devices are only available for Cisco UCS M3 blade and rack servers using enhanced boot order. For Cisco UCS M1 and M2 blade and rack servers using standard boot order, you can choose only the top-level Add Local Disk.

If you select 'Add Local CD/DVD' or 'Add Remote CD/DVD' the service profile will fail to apply to a non-M3 blade, those options are uefi 2nd level boot.  You must delete any CD/DVD from the service profile, then add the top level Add CD/DVD when Legacy Boot is checked.

CSCun10760 was opened so that second order boot options are greyed out when using legacy boot.

navery
Level 1
Level 1

Another option is to add the optical drive via the command line.  I just went through this issue.  My tech support guy was awesome.  This is the method he used.

flexpoducs02-A# scope org <YourOrg>
flexpoducs02-A /org # show boot-policy

Boot Policy:
    Name                 Purpose     Reboot on Update Boot Mode
    -------------------- ----------- ---------------- ---------
    <YourOrg>/iSCSI    Operational No               Legacy
    <YourOrg>/iSCSI-boot-New
                         Operational No               Legacy
flexpoducs02-A /org # scope boot-policy iSCSI-boot-New
flexpoducs02-A /org/boot-policy # create virtual-media read-only
flexpoducs02-A /org/boot-policy/virtual-media* # set order 2
flexpoducs02-A /org/boot-policy/virtual-media* # commit-buffer

Once it's added, you can change the order of the CD/DVD.

fphutchinson
Level 1
Level 1

Check your firmware versions on  the blades  CIMC ,adapter etc . 

I had the issue even with legacy mode enabled . Updated all the blade components to match and all worked 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card