cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

service profiles and templates

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what people are doing when creating service profiles for esxi. Are you creating a single service profile for each esxi server you deploy or are you using a template and then creating service profiles from that template?

Also what is the difference if using an initial template vs an updating template?

3 Replies 3

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Tony,

You need a service profile for each esxi server, template only provides a blue print.

As a best practise you can deploy service profiles from a template to maintain uniformity and consistency and reduce any errors while creating the sp.

Initial template is static and updating is dynamic I.e any change made to the updating template will also be updated on the sp deployed using that template which will not happen with the initial.

Hope this helps!

./abhinav
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

hi

for updating templates, if I change say a boot policy on one service profile, will that apply to all the profiles or servers?

all the esxi ervers are identical in config, but once in a while I might want to test a new policy or setting on just one server and I dont want to affect other hosts

Updating templates are live-dynamic links to each bound service profile.  Any changes to the parent template will be immediatly applied to all bound child profiles.

If you want to test a change, simply "unbind" one of the service profiles from the template, make the change directly to the service profile, then if the change is acceptable you can make the change to the profile template and re-bind the service profile used for the change test.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card