Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Single FI migration to a cluster

Hello,

I have a customer who uses UCS B-series infrastructure with single fabric interconnect (don't ask why). There is UCSM 1.4 running on it. Now, the customer purchased additional FI to create a cluster, as recommended. Now, the second FI arrived with 2.0 code. My question is, if I promote that single FI to a cluster and connect the seconf FI, will it be downgraded to 1.4 by the master, or newer version will take over, although it is on a slave? Should I perform manual downgrade to 1.4 on that new FI before I connect it to existing master? We do not need an upgrade to 2.0 now, 1.4 is doing just fine for this environment, so we want to stick wit it.

Cheers,

Krzysztof

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Krysztof,

Never introduce a cluster member FI at a different version.

Best approach would be to downgrade the new FI to the same version first.  Next promote the Standalone FI to primary, then introduce the secondary.  (Though this process should not be disruptive, I would schedule downtime regardless to be safe.

Primary/Secondary roles are not chosen by the higher FW level. 

If you have no need for the 2.0 features or bug fixes, then stay put where you are.  If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Regards,

Robert

Very well said Rob and I agree and back your statement 100%

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hello,

We have just completed the migration. It went quite well. Just one thing was interesting. When I uploaded new package and requested version change in UCMS (for both: UCSM and kernel), the UCSM itself got restarted and new version became active. However, when I restarted the FI by power off/on the kernel and kickstart were still running previous version. The second reboot activated new NXOS. It happened with two FIs which we were downgrading. Did I miss something or it's just normal behavior?

Cheers,

Krzysztof

Expected behavior.  The proper procedure is to activate just UCSM first, let it activate the image (which will kill any existing UCSM instances), then activate the IOMs (startup version only), and finally activate the FI's one at a time. 

Sounds like you doubled up a step which would schedule the second reboot to activate all endpoints.

Regards,

Robert

Hi there,

If you detailed steps involved in this process, please send me.

I am in the process of compiling a plan to do this. I am just little nervous with all the changes.

thank you,

AK G

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: