cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

solution comparison

sansari
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for some information on UCS vs. other solutions.  I am looking at IBM System Director and it seems that I can manage some storage devices through its support of Storage Management Initiative.  And I wonder if the same functionality exists in the UCS solution.  I am new to UCS, and appreicate your advice.

5 Replies 5

rammuthaiya
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

IBM System Director is a software and it requires dedicated systems to install. This will result in additional total cost.

But in UCS, UCS manager is embadded in Fabric Interconnects. Please note that, through UCS manager we can not maintain storage directly.

Ramkumar.

Thanks for the reply. Would you have another look at what I just posted?  I appreciate the feedback.  My greater interest is in comparing solutions.

rewilkin
Level 1
Level 1

sansari,

UCSM, which is the Manager of the UCS platform strictly manages the system.  What you are asking if I am correct, is the option to see other devices within UCS.  There is UIM, it is a manager that allows you to see the UCS, EMC storage, Cisco MDS and even some other devices.  You cannot manage these or config these devices, but it allows one single pane of mgmt for all the devices.

UIM is part of a vBlock, which is confoguration of Cisco, UCS/MDS, EMC storage and VMware ESX.

See the quick slideshow on UIM below...

http://www.slideshare.net/robboyd/ionix-unified-infrastructure-manager-uim-overview-for-cisco-tv-feb10

Thanks for the reply.  It was very helpful.  I should have asked my question differently though as my greater interest is in comparing UCS solution with other private cloud solutions such as CloudBurst, Dell VIS, Oracle Exadata or Exalogic ( I am still learning the names ), and I believe Brocade has a solution also.

Question 2:  Do you think Cisco will support other vendor devices in future release of UCS?  I would be curious to know if Vendor Lock-in has been a concern for potential clients.  How can this be justified to a potential client?  I think Cisco has priced UCS to offset any value of leveraging existing equipment.  Am I correct?  Any supporting documents you could share with me would be greatly appreciated.

sansari,

Intergration with other vendors with UCS is limited.  For what you are asking is not on the UCS roadmap as of today, that could change, but when I would not have that information.

Vendor lock-in is not something I have heard any clients complain or discuss.  Cisco is good about creating partnerships with different companies, but for what you are asking is something I would not be able to speak on.  Maybe someone in our Tech Marketing group could give more details, but I personally don't see it happening in the near future.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card