cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble installing W2K12R2 on my first UCS C220 M4S server

jamesgilligan
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to install W2K12R2 on my UCS C220 M4S server and I have configured a Virtual Drive(mirrored 2 physical Drives) on my Cisco 12G SAS Module Raid Controller, I then boot up with my ISO of W2K12R2 and get to the point where I am to identify which drive to install Windows on, there is only the one drive, when it comes up I get the warning Windows Can't be installed on Drive 0 Partition 1 (Show details) See UCS-ATTACH1 in Attachments.

I figured it was probably a driver related issues and downloaded the driver pack cxxx-scu-drivers-w2k12r2x64-3.0.8a and hunted for the drivers, Tried

see UCS-ATTACH2

Also tried both drives on UCS-ATTACH3

Is there a setting in BIOS I have missed?

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

ssumichrast
Level 1
Level 1

Did you have to attach the CD-ROM ISO? Did you remember to reconnect the Windows ISO once you loaded the drivers? I can't tell you how many times I did that before I got frustrated and added the UCS drivers to the Windows install disk. 

Niko Nikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

James,

Is the VD you are attempting to install to configured as a bootable drive?

You could also try running the SCU (server configuration utility) to see if that works for you.

After creating VD , Do you configure set as a boot device ??

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/gui/config/guide/2-0/b_Cisco_UCS_C-series_GUI_Configuration_Guide_201/b_Cisco_UCS_C-series_GUI_Configuration_Guide_201_chapter_010011.html#task_D9EE704B331C4328B7107B54776E2EA8

Set as Boot Drive

Before You Begin

You must log in with admin privileges to perform this task.

Procedure
    Step 1   In the Navigation pane, click the Storage tab.
    Step 2   On the Storage tab, click the appropriate LSI MegaRAID controller.
    Step 3   On the Work pane, click the Virtual Drive Info tab.
    Step 4   In the Virtual Drives area, choose the drive from which the controller must boot.
    Step 5   In the Actions area, click Set as Boot Drive.
    Step 6   Click OK to confirm.

suhagdesai1
    Level 1
    Level 1

Try with disabled uEFI in bios, reboot and then try.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card