cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 on UCS C24 M3 using Server Configuration Utility

sgossen
Level 4
Level 4

I've got the latest firmware, 3.0(4i), installed and I'm using the Server Configuration Utility version 5.0.3a. When I go into the OS Install and select Ubuntu, in the drop-down box, there are no choices for what Ubuntu version you wish to install, and therefore, I can't continue. For the record, CentOS does the same thing. All of the other choices have options in the drop down. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Goose

6 Replies 6

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried quick install option?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/Release_Notes_for_Cisco_C-Series_Server_Configuration_Utility_5_0_1.html#81046

Release 5.0(3)

This section lists the open caveats for Cisco UCS SCU, Release 5.0(3):

• CSCve83841

Symptom Custom installation of the Ubuntu 16.04 OS using the non-interactive SCU fails.

Workaround Use the quick install option.

There is no "quick install" option with Ubuntu. (I assume because I can't select a version.) I can select WINDOWS and then WINDOWS SERVER 2016, and then STANDARD edition, and then I have an option to select QUICK INSTALL. However, if I do that and then try to install Ubuntu Server 16.04, it fails.

Thanks,

Scot

I just tested this in the lab on C220-M3 running CIMC 3.0.1d and I can see Ubuntu 16.04 without issue. I am using SCU 5.0.3a.

Did you recently upgrade CIMC/BIOS on the server? Any changes you have made since purchasing the server?

I would try to roll it back to the latest 3.0.3 version and see if you have the same problem.

Yes. I recently upgraded to the latest firmware/BIOS. I just tried the 4.0.13a SCU, and i get the same results. (See attached pic.) The older 3.1.5i SCU doesn't give me an option of installing Ubuntu. If I just try to boot into the Ubuntu 16.04.2 installer, it runs a while, lets me select language, keyboard, IP info, etc., then reboots. I assume it's a RAID issue.

Thanks,

Goose

Do you see the RAID controller and the virtual and physical drives during POST? Have you created a virtual drive and set it as bootable?

I just created a RAID0 with 2 drives during my test.

Yes. (See attached.) This machine was previously running Windows Server 2008. I left the RAID settings as they were from that OS. Also, the RAID Adapter is set as the Boot Option #1. (See 2nd attachment.)

Thanks,

Goose

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card