cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 1.4.1 - Software Bundles & Upgrades

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The latest version of UCS has been released today - 1.4(1i).

Here's a few new highlighted features:

- UCS C-Series Rack server integration into UCSM (C200, C210, C250, C440)

- Support for the B230 blade (Dual Socket Westmere, 32 DIMMs (Max Memory 256GB) 1/2 width blade)

- Support for 20 Chassis

- SPAN & PVLAN support

- FC Trunk & Port Channeling

- Direct connect FCoE array, Direct Connect Storage & Appliance support (NAS/iSCSI)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11350/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Note that the single upgrade bundle has been broken into four components:

1. Infrastructure bundle

2. B-Series bundle

3. C-Series bundle

4. Capability Catalogue

If you're not planning on C-Series integration, then you can skip this bundle.

Release notes available here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/OL_24086.html

Any issues with dowloading or installing the new version let us know.

Regards,

Robert

15 Replies 15

work
Level 1
Level 1

Great news Rob.

quick question though : i can find the download links for the infrastructure bundle (

ucs-k9-bundle-infra.1.4.1i.A.bin ), and i can grab the tools and drivers packages for 1.4.1i

but i cant seem to find the B-series and C-series blade binaries (

ucs-k9-bundle-b-series.1.4.1i.B.bin, ucs-k9-bundle-c-series.1.4.1i.C.bin) ?

if i click through the download manager for the B-series| B250 M2 it takes me to the download tree for 1.3,1.2,1.1 - ie has no mention of any of the 1.4 train of code for any component.

thanks in advance

Breckan

It's under "Server Software".

There are three links with the word "Software" in the link.  All four images you need are in those three folders.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks again Rob.

confirming :

Infra bundle : 392,231,278 bytes

B-series bundle : 206,394,777 bytes

Catalog : 29,904 bytes

Ethan Haberman
Level 1
Level 1

Does your interpretation of the Direct Connect for FCoE indicate that you could directly connect a supported FCoE array to the Fabric Interconnects?

Your understanding is correct Ethan,

You can connect FCoE Targets on the Fabric Interconnect ports.

Thanks,

Ozden

The Fabric Interconnects have always come with a fixed number of ports pre-licensed. 8 on the 6120 and 16 on the 6140. (Expansion modules do not require extra licenses)

In versions prior to 1.4 the licenses were not enforced so you could really use as many as you want. Starting with 1.4, UCS will now warn you when your license count is exceeded. Warnings will be generated but data flow will never be stopped.

You need to purchase additional port licenses for every port above the default that is in use. The Cisco part number for a port license is N10-L001.

Is it possible to connect iSCSI arrays, namely Equallogic, directly to the fabric interconnects or is that just for FCoE appliances?

Ken

llozanos81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, i recently upgraded a UCS from 1.3.1p to 1.4.1i and after the activation o

f Kernel and System Image of Fabric Interconencts i got an issue with Port Licenses

License file: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.lic
    Id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Version: 1.0
    Scope: A
    State: Installed
    Features
    Feature Name: ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG
    Vendor: cisco
    Quantity: 2
    Lines
        Line Id: 1
        Type: Increment
        Expiry Date: Never
        Pak: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        Signature: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

License file: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.lic
    Id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Scope: B
    State: Installed
    Features
    Feature Name: ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG
    Vendor: cisco
    Lines
        Line Id: 1
        Type: Increment
        Expiry Date: Never
        Pak: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        Signature: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The expire date is marked as NEVER but the usage shows a diferent state, a GRACE period state.

License instance: ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG
    Scope: A
    Default: 8
    Total Quant: 10
    Used Quant: 10
    State: License Graceperiod
    Peer Status: No Peer
    Grace Used: 126000

License instance: ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG
    Scope: B
    Default: 8
    Total Quant: 10
    Used Quant: 10
    State: License Graceperiod
    Peer Status: No Peer
    Grace Used: 126000

Does any one have an idea why is this happening? The upgrade guide does not say anything about licensing

Regads

Luis Lozano

The Fabric Interconnects have always come with a fixed number of ports pre-licensed. 8 on the 6120 and 16 on the 6140. (Expansion modules do not require extra licenses)

In versions prior to 1.4 the licenses were not enforced so you could really use as many as you want. Starting with 1.4, UCS will now warn you when your license count is exceeded. Warnings will be generated but data flow will never be stopped.

You need to purchase additional port licenses for every port above the default that is in use. The Cisco part number for a port license is N10-L001.

Hi Simon thanks for your response, we included the additional Ports in the BoM, 4 in total (2 per Fabric) as you can see the command "show file detail" inside licenses scope saysm i have 2 liceses of 2 ports installed on each fabric (A & B).

The licenses are marked as Never Expire, 2 increment count in each Fabric, but the usage state is Grace Period, wich is wierd and not right.

Any comments?

Regards

I'm seeing the same issue with just the base "out of box" (8 ports per FI) licensing. It shows that there is a 120 grace period and it's used 3 of them.

Here is the error:

warning F067093835 sys/license/feature-ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG-cisco-1.0/inst-A/fault-F0670 license-graceperiod-entered license for ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG on fabric-interconnect A has entered into the grace period.

warning F067093836 sys/license/feature-ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG-cisco-1.0/inst-B/fault-F0670 license-graceperiod-entered license for ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG on fabric-interconnect B has entered into the grace period.

Note the following changes in regards to licensing:

- Prior to 1.4 the first 8 ports were "licensed" by default (16 ports for the 6140). From 1.4 and later you can use any 8/16 ports.

- Each port maintains its own 120 day grace period.

- Port licenses are bound to the Fabric Interconnect Serial #

- Licenses are NOT applied to a port until it's Enabled

- Expansion modules ports are NOT licensed from the port pool.  They are fully enabled at manufacturing (their own built-in license)

- You must install licenses "symetrically" (Each FI with the same # of licenses) to avoid inconsistencies during a failover.

If you're having issues with licenses check/provide the following output:

scope license

show usage

show file detail

scope eth-server

show interface

scope eth-uplink

show interface

Regards,

Robert

So is it possible that the upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4 didn't make the appropriate adjustments to allow the licenses to float?

From the commands you asked about...

B# scope license

B /license # show usage

Feat Name                      Scope Default Total Quant Used Quant State                Peer Status Grace Used

------------------------------ ----- ------- ----------- ---------- -------------------- ----------- ----------

ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG        A           8           8          6 License Graceperiod  No Peer         370800

ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG        B           8           8          6 License Graceperiod  No Peer         370800

B /license # show file detail

B /license # scope eth-server

B /eth-server # show interface

Interface:

Fabric  Slot  Port  Admin State  Oper State   State Reason                    Chassis  Lic State            Grace Prd

------- ----- ----- ------------ ------------ ------------------------------- -------- -------------------- ---------

A           1     2 Enabled      Up                                           1        License Ok                         0

A           1     4 Enabled      Up                                           1        License Ok                         0

A           1     6 Enabled      Up                                           1        License Graceperiod           370800

A           1     8 Enabled      Up                                           1        License Graceperiod           370800

B           1     2 Enabled      Up                                           1        License Ok                         0

B           1     4 Enabled      Up                                           1        License Ok                         0

B           1     6 Enabled      Up                                           1        License Graceperiod           370800

B           1     8 Enabled      Up                                           1        License Graceperiod           370800

B /eth-server # scope eth-uplink

B /eth-uplink # show interface

Member Port:

Fabric ID  Port-channel Slot  Port  Oper State    State Reason                        Lic State            Grace Period

---------- ------------ ----- ----- ------------- ----------------------------------- -------------------- ------------

A          1            1     17    Up                                                License Graceperiod           370800

A          1            1     18    Up                                                License Graceperiod           370800

B          1            1     17    Up                                                License Graceperiod           370800

B          1            1     18    Up                                                License Graceperiod           370800

@jsessler -  I'm going to move this thread to a new discussion.

Find it here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3257971#3257971

Can you carry over to that thread and supply a "show cluster extended-state".

Regards,

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card