Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 2.1(1a) Released on CCO!

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings All,

Just a heads up that the latest major version of UCSM has been released. 

Release Note:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html

New Features Include:

• C-series Single Wire Management
  • PV Count Optimization (VLAN Compression. Only available on 6248/6296 Fabric Interconnect)
  • UCSM based FC Zoning - Direct Connect Topologies
  • Multi-Hop FCoE
  • Unified Appliance Port
  • VLAN Group
  • Multicast Policy with IGMP Snooping and Querier
  • Firmware Auto Install (install-all)
  • Mixed Version Support (For Infra and Server bundles firmware)
  • UCSM Upgrade Validation Utility
  • Service Profile Renaming
  • Org-Aware VLAN
  • LAN/SAN Connectivity Policies for Service Profile Configuration
  • Fault Suppression
  • FSM Tab Enhancement
  • VM FEX for KVM SRIOV
  • VM FEX for Hyper-V SRIOV
  • Native JRE 64 bits Compatibility with OS and Browsers
  • Lower Power Cap Minimum for B Series
  • VCON Enhancement
  • Cisco CNA NIC Multi-receiving Queue Support
  • Inventory and Discovery Support for Fusion-IO and LSI PCIe Mezzanine Flash Storage (for UCS M3 blades)
  • Sequential Pool ID Assignment
  • RBAC Enhancement
  • CIMC is included in Host Firmware Package (Management Firmware Package deprecated).
  • Implicit  upgrade compatibility check (The Cisco UCS Manager 2.1 GUI has removed  the "Ignore Compatibility Check" for activating firmware. The Cisco UCS  Manager 2.1 CLI has hidden the "ignorecompcheck" optio when you activate  firmware. This option still works if the user types in the  "ignorecompcheck" option in the CLI. )

If you have any questions or comments, let us know.

Regards,

Robert

6 Replies 6

Amit Vyas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Robert,

Thanks for updating with latest releas of UCS 2.1(1a) firmware

I wanted to understand how PV Count Optimization (VLAN Compression. Only available on 6248/6296 Fabric Interconnect) works in 6248 and 6269

-Amit

Amit,

I'll give you the long answer so you understand the relevance of the feature.  In UCSM each Fabric Interconnect has a Port-VLAN count limiation.  The Port VLAN count is a total of each & every VLAN allowed on each vNIC in the system, plus the # of VLANs allowed on each border interface (uplink).  These have been slowly increased across versions from 3000 -> 6000 -> 14000 -> 32000 now in version UCSM 2.1 (with VLAN compression disabled)

You can see what your VLAN port limit is with

UCS-6296-A# scope fabric-interconnect a

UCS-6296-A /fabric-interconnect # show vlan-port-count

VLAN-Port Count:

VLAN-Port Limit Access VLAN-Port Count Border VLAN-Port Count Alloc Status

--------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ------------

32000           18                     20                     Available

[After enabling VLAN compression]

UCS-6296-A /fabric-interconnect # show vlan-port-count

VLAN-Port Count:

VLAN-Port Limit Access VLAN-Port Count Border VLAN-Port Count Alloc Status

--------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ------------

64000           18                     20                     Available

As you can see just by enabling VLAN Compression, my PV count greatly increases.  In my lab example above I have barely anything configured, so let's take a real world example . Let's say your UCSM domain looks something like this:

VLANs created: 100

VLANs allowed on each vNIC: 100

vNICs per Service Profile: 2

Service Profiles: 50

Uplink (Border) Interfaces per FI: 2 (Non port-channeled)

The PV count would be calculated as:

(100 VLANS *  4 vNICs per Service Proflie * 50 Service Profiles) + (100 VLANs * 2 Uplink Interfaces)

= 20200

And you can see, if you had more VLANs, vNICs, or service profiles, the count woudl increase accordingly.  This is why its best practice to only allow VLANs the service profile host needs.  The customers that hit this limiation are usually multi-tenant cloud providers where they need to allow all VLANs on all hypervisor vNICs to allow their tenants VM resources to be migrated to any host.  Another case where this limitation can be hit is with the Nexus 1000v, where the VLAN provisioning occurs at the N1K level and all VLANs need to be passed soutbound from UCSM to the N1K.

So why does this matter?  Well the higher the vlan port count the more processing strain it puts on the system managing all the internal counts & VLAN states.   With this new feature UCSM will automatically map the state of multiple VLANs into a single state or "group" which greatly reduces the CPU load on the system and allows us to safely increase the overall PV count.

To enable this feature simply go to the "LAN" tab in UCSM, click on "LAN Cloud" on the left navigation pane, click on the "Global Policies" tab on the right pane and you'll see a radio button for "VLAN Port Count Optimization" Enabled/Disabled.  Once enabled - that's it!  UCSM will to all the magic of creating the VLAN groups transparently within the system and optimize the PV count for you. 

**Since this is a new feature, it will be disabled by default for both upgrades and new installs.  In future releases this default may be changed.

Hope this helps! - Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert for your detailed explanation, however I have few more question for you

• What if I need VLAN more then or above 64000?
  • Why still Trunk is available in END HOST mode ? (I would like to have answer for this, if not I am okay with that)
  • In below scenario one thing is vNICs per SP is 2 and in PV count calculation it shows 4 vNICs per SP, here I want to understand how 4 vNICs is been calculated

(100 VLANS *  4 vNICs per Service Profile * 50 Service Profiles) + (100 VLANs * 2 Uplink Interfaces) = 20200

• Lets take below scenario now

VLAN created: 500

VLAN allowed on each vNIC: 500

vNICs per Service Profile: 8

Uplink (Border) Interface per FI: 2

500 VLANs * 8 vNICs per Service Profile * 50 Service Profiles+ 500 VLANs * 2 Uplink = 201000

What will happen in this scenario ?

Looking forward for your reply

-Amit

Answers inline.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Robert

• What if I need VLAN more then or above 64000?
    [Robert] This is the system limitation. We have few customers (Cloud providers) even hitting this limit. In a properly designed system 98% of customers should never come close to this limit.  If you need to scale beyond this you will need a separate UCS domain.  Multiple UCS domains can be centrally managed by UCS Central.
    • Why still Trunk is available in END HOST mode ? (I would like to have answer for this, if not I am okay with that)
    [Robert] Not sure I understand.  There's no such thing as "Access" ports in UCS.  Everything is a trunk.  The closest thing we have to an Access port is a trunk allowing a single "native" VLAN.
    • In below scenario one thing is vNICs per SP is 2 and in PV count calculation it shows 4 vNICs per SP, here I want to understand how 4 vNICs is been calculated

(100 VLANS *  4 vNICs per Service Profile * 50 Service Profiles) + (100 VLANs * 2 Uplink Interfaces) = 20200

[Robert] Just a typo.  The forumula is correct, the value for "2" vNICs per Proifle above should be "4".

• Lets take below scenario now

VLAN created: 500

VLAN allowed on each vNIC: 500

vNICs per Service Profile: 8

Uplink (Border) Interface per FI: 2

500 VLANs * 8 vNICs per Service Profile * 50 Service Profiles+ 500 VLANs * 2 Uplink = 201000

What will happen in this scenario ?

[Robert] First, the system would not allow you to deploy that many profiles due to the PV limit. As soon as you reach the limiation the system would throw a configuration error alert.  From a design perspective, the reason most customers use more than two vNICs per host is for operational granularity.  They'd like to treat each vNIC different, perhaps apply different levels of QoS, adapter policies etc.  In hypervisor environments you might use 1 vNIC for vMotion, maybe one for Management.  In this case each of these vNICs only need to allow their single VLAN.  You likely wouldn't need all 500 VLANs being allowed on all eight vNICs.   If you prune off uncessary VLANs you can easily drop below the 64000 limitation.  This is where best-practice design comes in.

Looking forward for your reply

-Amit

Thanks for your reply Robert

We are also one of the cloud providers and we are facing this issue.

I would like to know how I can expand UCS Domain and how it will help us to get ride of VLAN limitation? you can provide me a link where I can refer how to expand UCS Domain and use UCS Central

Also would like to know what is the best practice you would follow to designe a public cloud (you just give me a overview if you cann't comment here)

-Amit

Amit,

Cisco Validated Design ( CVD ) docs are good reference while designing solutions.

VMDC guide is here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns340/ns414/ns742/ns743/ns1050/landing_vmdc.html

Datacenter Design guides

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns743/networking_solutions_program_home.html

HTH

Padma

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card