cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 200 vlans

miket
Level 5
Level 5

Does anyone a sample config from esx to setup multi vlans.. I have a ucs200 and need to have two vlans on the esx server does anyone have a configuration to do this.

7 Replies 7

DAVE GENTON
Level 2
Level 2

if you want multiple vlans on single ethernet you need to configure network port on switch as a trunk, also in ucs/vmware you need to configure trunking as well.  UCS has different NIC's available to where with Cisco VIC card you can create 2 vmnics for esxi each one on a single vlan, VIC handles stripping of the vlan tag.  Or vmware is set as trunk, tagging goes up to vmware and by using port-groups on the vswitch, take care of the tagging there.  SO in your case trunk in vmware uplink configuration, then create 2 port groups, one for each vlan tag #.  Hope that helps, vmware.com has step by step directions, and for UCS, dependant on the NIC ordered with the server, which I assume is a C200 ??  the letter makes more of a deal for this than the numerical value.

d-

Sorry I meant a c200m2...

Kinda figured.  VMware is where most of that is done, but all dependant on how network switch port is configured first and foremost, tagged or untagged, then procedure as stated above with vmware config guide and whether using VIC or other NIC's

d-

Dave I kinda gota strange issue here is my switch config . If Ienable both ports I loose connectivity... If I disable either port on the 3750 all works fine.. Both nics are  attached to the vswitch in ESX

Any ideas?

interface FastEthernet1/0/18

description weir test

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 172

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

speed 100

duplex full

channel-group 1 mode on

spanning-tree portfast trunk

!

interface FastEthernet1/0/19

description weir test

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

speed 100

duplex full

channel-group 1 mode on

spanning-tree portfast trunk interface FastEthernet1/0/18
description weir test
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
speed 100
duplex full
channel-group 1 mode on
!
interface FastEthernet1/0/19
description weir test
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
speed 100
duplex full
channel-group 1 mode on

Yes because you are trying to port-channel, remove the channel-group mode on command and they will come up.  VMware  you can setup active/active or active/standby your choice but you dont port-channel vmware.

Going forward I am not sure about vmware being able to port channel but windows and others can, however only using LACP which is a standard protocol for port channels.  YOu are using cisco proprietary there so it will never work, even using OS with lacp nic teaming drivers.   Using the command channel-group 1 mode active vs. mode on, will use LACP instead.   Leave port channels out of the mix right now, besides you dont need with vmware, it does fine without it, just make both active/active and you'll get full bandwidth, no stp blocking, with both up, no channel.

Then depending on NIC in UCS you might want to tag all vlans down and let him untag them, native if used should correspond the the mgmt vlan for local access.

Thanks. In esx-i I changed the vswitch settings to route by ip hash and all came up okay and seems fine. We did have an issue with the mgmt vlan is the same as the callmanger and unity is in another vlan. A pc in the same vlan as callmanager couldn't get vsphere to work.

I reboot ucs and all is okay now.

All the docs and course material all use channnel groups so I am surprised by. Your answer but I will try it.

Strange

Mike Thompson

I/T Architect

IBM Canada

Office +1-905-316-6906

Cell +1-416-884-5692

Dave. I will clarify. My mgmt ip is 172.17.1.161 my CallManager is .150. Unity is 172.16.1.60. If I put a pc in the 172.17 then you couldn't use vsphere on 172.17. From any other pc all was fine after changing the ip hash option

All phones work unity is up.

After I power cycled all was okay.

I got the latest course material and it has channel groups.

I will try without and see how it works.

I do know when I remove the native vlan all stopped working.

I wish there was some better guides on ucs c series.

Thanks and I will let you know how both way works.

Mike Thompson

I/T Architect

IBM Canada

Office +1-905-316-6906

Cell +1-416-884-5692

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card