cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 5108 power supply amber light

ertsgard1
Level 1
Level 1

We have (4) power supplies in a 5108 chassis and have made no connections to the FI as of yet. 

We connected all (4) supplies and only one shows a 'green' status.  All of the others display a flashing amber light.

However, if we plug in each supply on their own, a 'green' status is displayed.  Any ideas?                  

6 Replies 6

David Alpizar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

You said that 3 PSUs on the chassis show amber light!

Have you tried the PSUs on any other slot of the chassis?

What happen if you move the "green" power supply to another slot?

What firmware is the server running?

What is the power policy set on the server?

Let me know

David

David,

Answers to your questions:

Have you tried PSUs on any other slot of the chassis?

Yes.  All show 'green' when tried individually.

What happen if you move the green power supplyh to another slot?

If this is the only power supply in use, still stays green.

If I am powering up all 4, then only the first one powered on stays green.  The other 3 are amber.

What firmware is the server running:

Not sure.  We have not performed ANY configuration whatsoever - no connections to FI, etc.  We are only powering up the chassis with all 4 supplies to make sure there are no issues before we delve into connections, etc.

What is the power policy set on the server?

None, as we have not configured anything.  Only testing power.

Thanks David.

Try by connecting all PSUs on the server and if any of them show amber light, reseat one by one and check on UCSM in order to know current status of devices.

You can collect a UCSM show tech and a chassis tech support for further investigation.

Here is how to get the files:

and:

Let me know

David

Since we have not connected via the FI, no way to obtain this info at this time.

There are some known issues regarding PSUs but we need to have some further information from the device.

This needs to be isolated to determine if there is any hardware failure on the PSUs but I would recommend you to install the server and check firmware version, PSU status and collect show tech support for investigation.

David

BEN ROBINSON
Level 1
Level 1

What was the fix for this? We are having same issue

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card