cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 6200 loader> dir Error: No Devices Found

ataranen
Level 1
Level 1

After configuring unified ports and rebooting the FI returned with loader> prompt. The dir command shows nothing available. Am I correct to assume that the bootflash has failed? If so, what is the replacement part for the bootflash?

loader> dir

Error: No Devices Found

9 Replies 9

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Is this new install ?

Please open a TAC service request to further investigate this issue.  It would help if you can arrange remote console of the FI.

Padma

I couldn't wait for TAC support, so tried to investigate myself. I booted kickstart from tftp server. When the kickstart came up, it detected un-initialized storage and tried to intialize it, but without success. I tried running system initialize from the boot prompt with the same result - can not initialize the storage. Then I pulled out the bootflash and replaced it with a bootflash of a working system - that worked fine. Everything in pointing to a dead bootflash. Can anyone let me know the replacement part Does anyone know the replacement part number? On the bootflash it says Cisco PN 16-4091-01,  but a search for this part number did not return anything.

I don't beleieve the bootflash is a FRU (Field Replaceable).  You'll need a TAC case to open up an RMA for the entire FI.

Regards,

Robert

Unfortunately I don't have a service contract for this device. It is a brand new 6248UP that was only running for about 4 months before the bootflash failed. I hope there are other options.

If you bought it new it should have a basic HW warranty.  Did you purchase it directly from Cisco or through a partner?

Robert

It was purchased new from a partner. I guess the proper way would be to send it back to them and let them deal with it, but then I will be without the device for weeks. I would rather buy a replacement bootflash if it was an option.

Want to share my experience solving the problem of failed bootflash on 6248UP Fabric Interconnect.

The quick fix was to use USB interface at the back to connect any off-the-shelf flash memory. Once you connect the flash to USB just follow the procedure to recover your FI from the loader> prompt; the procedure can be easily found on the Cisco forum and on the Internet.

The permanent solution was to open up the device and replace the bootflash with a new one. The type of flash used is SSD with MO-297 form factor. This could be for example KINGMAX HMP20 HALF-SLIM SSD or WesternDigital

SSD-S0032SC-7150. Once the SSD is in, just recover using the same procedure as when you end-up in the loader> mode.

The only unusual part about replacing the SSD was removing about 50 small screws to open up the Fabric Interconnect chassis, even then you should be done within an hour recovering the entire system.

Could you provide  the procedure to recover your FI from the loader> prompt?thanks.

Here are some goog step-by-step guides of recovering from loader> prompt

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12013

http://jeffsaidso.com/2013/01/when-disaster-strikes/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card