Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 6324 and 2304 Support

jhedman
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there teams,

So I have to say, I've searched high and low and I'm a bit frustrated with support statements for the 6324 and the 2304 IOM.  Specifically, there are countless documents on the Cisco site that mention support between the 2304 and UCS 6300 FI's...  By product number alone that would mean the 6324, but so far, my customer and I have not been able to get them to work together, and yes we have installed the 40Gb scale ability license.

I also have a UCS FI document created in Feb. of 2014, that simply states, the support for connecting a 40Gb IOM to the 6324 will come immediately after FCS, which clearly that hasn't happened.  Has anyone made this work or is it simply not supported, despite many Cisco docs that leave you thinking otherwise.

Seriously, why wouldn't we be able to use the 40Gb port on a 6324 to connect a secondary chassis using the 40Gb link?  Instead, we will have to RMA the 2304's for 2204's, use breakout cables and do 4x10Gb?  Makes no sense.  Any input here would be great!

Thanks, Jared

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DominikPecak
Level 6
Level 6

IOM 2304 is not supported by UCS Mini (FI 6324). Only IOMs 2204XP/2208XP are supported (Cisco UCS Mini Blade Server Chassis Specsheet, page 10).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

DominikPecak
Level 6
Level 6

IOM 2304 is not supported by UCS Mini (FI 6324). Only IOMs 2204XP/2208XP are supported (Cisco UCS Mini Blade Server Chassis Specsheet, page 10).

Figured this would be the answer, seems like a strong product miss.

Understand our position - look at the second graphic on this page, sort of confusing, as it shows all of these products on the left and right.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-6300-series-fabric-interconnects/datasheet-c78-675243.html

One might say well the graphic doesn't show the 2304 in the darker blue coming from the 6332's on the left, but technically the 6324 isn't in dark blue to any of the IOM's.

Second, on that same page, the third paragraph says "The Cisco UCS 2304 connects the I/O fabric between the Cisco UCS 6300 Series Fabric Interconnects".  Is the 6324 not a 6300 series FI?

Not shooting the messenger here, I appreciate the response, but its getting old that we're constantly running into things like, it's a 40Gb port but...  it's not....

Second picture shows blade chassis with 2304 IOMs, which is supported by "standard" UCS.

Remember, that even if 6324 is 3rd gen FI (but is were earlier than 3rd gen full-size 1RU FI - 6332 and 6332-16UP, so I don't know if it is counted as 3rd gen FI) it is a part od UCS Mini solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card