cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS and iSCSI IBM ds3512

vsheliga
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to connect UCS (B200 M2, FI 6120XP, M81KR) to iSCSI IBM DS3512 (dual storage controllers) using appliance ports. It should be 1 GB link, MTU 9000, no boot from iSCSI.  Cannot make it working ,   cannot ping from esxi5 blade to the IBM.  I was able to connect UCS and DS3512 via uplink ports using HP Procurve switches in-between. However, the idea is to eliminate HP switches and use direct connection.

Please advise or point to the right direction.

Thank you!

4 Replies 4

liguoriariel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, are you getting any error or warning when you apply service profile to the server? which version of UCS r u running?

KR,

AL   

Hello ,

I believe your vmkernel interface is using right port profiles and mapped to right vNIC in UCSM that allows necessary VLANs.

Also, please make sure to create VLAN under UCSM > LAN > Appliances > VLANs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_0101.html#concept_2BC331760A824A86B0A1F2C69EFDA700

Padma

Hi Padma,

Thank you for your reply!

I created VLAN under Appliances with overlay global iSCSI VLAN. I do not have any uplink ports configured for iSCSI VLAN, only appliance ports use corresponding appliance VLAN. Is it correct?

I am not using LAN pin group, should I? The port mode should be trunk and appliance VLAN should be marked as native, correct? (or it should be access ports?)

Do I need to create Priority (like Bronze with 9000 MTU, as it was recommended in one article) and do not use Best Efforts?

Question about esxi. After vNIC appeares under Network Adapers under Configuration in esxi in vCenter does it mean that I can ping to any IP on vlan this vNic connected to in UCS? I mean ping should work without assigning this vNIC as uplink to any vds or standard vswitch first?

Thank you!

Varvara

vsheliga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am not getting any errors or warnings in UCS. I cannot ping from blade (ESX5i) to IBM storage -this is the only indication of the problem.

After modification of the existing service profile I reboot the blade and there is no warnning or error in UCS, appliance ports are green. We have UCS  2.0(4.b).

Is there any way to find out the settings of appliance port right on FI, maybe via CLI? I think it should show 1 gb speed, full duplex, vlan it attached to? Also I am not sure about 'native' settings for appliance vlan. I tried various settings but cannot find the working combination

Thank you,

Varvara

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: