Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS B SERIES UPLINKs

alex210
Level 1
Level 1

Dear ,

I have the below architecture. I am confused how to configure the upstream switches (non cisco switches). I  configured port channel on Fabric interconnect level. SW_A , SW_B carried the same vlan vlan 50,vlan60; vlan70. and SW3 carried only one vlan100, disjoin domain is already configured.

Could you please advise how to configure upstream switch.

test.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

• why i should create trunk on SW3 as i have only one vlan ?

Because UCS expects the VLAN/.1q tag to be present. Creating a trunk port with only one VLAN assures the VLAN/.1q tag exists on the packets.

• if i have some server on SW3 with access mode i can reach them , by configuring trunk on SW3 for my ucs server.

Yes.

• if i have another switch connected to SW3 with trunk , can i reach them ,by coonfiguring trunk between FI and SW3.

Yes

• in which case , i should use one vlan as native in fabric interconnect?

Almost never. Just use trunks and tag the VLAN coming into UCS.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Each UCS Fabric Interconnect should have two different port channels:

• Fabric Interconnect A
    • Port-channel 1 = to SW_A
    • Port-channel 2 = to SW3
  • Fabric Interconnect B
    • Port-channel 1 = to SW_B
    • Port-channel 2 = to SW3

SW_A will have one port-channel which allows 50/60/70;

SW_B will have one port-channel which allows 50/60/70;

SW3 will have two port-channels which allows 100; One port-channel to FI-A and one port-channel to FI-B;

Depends on the switch as the exact configuration will differ as different switches call port-channel different things (port-channel, trunk, bond, ether-channel, etc). The port should be a layer 2 trunk port where the VLAN should be allowed and tagged (not native/untagged/default/access).

The UCS side will need Disjoint Layer 2 to direct VLAN 100 to SW3 configured following:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/Network-Mgmt/4-0/b_UCSM_Network_Mgmt_Guide_4_0/b_UCSM_Network_Mgmt_Guide_4_0_chapter_01001.html

I'd probably do two VLAN Groups within UCS;

• VLAN Group 1 = VLAN 50/60/70
  • VLAN Group 2 = VLAN 100

Then allow VLAN Group 1 on uplink port-channel 1 and VLAN Group 2 on uplink port-channel 2 for both Fabric Interconnects.

thanks for your reply.

It seems that my query is not clear. I will detailed in the below:

as the ethernet switching mode is set to end host mode, and the uplink will be automatically trunk in the FI side. for the uplinks sw_3 i should connect SW3 port access mode or trunk mode as i have only one vlan, or I should active native vlan.

for SW_A and SW_B should be configured as truck allowed vlan 50;60,70 ?

for the management interface of fabric interconnect , interfaces in upstream switch should be configured access ?

Correct me if I am wrong.

The port should be a layer 2 trunk port where the VLAN should be allowed and tagged (not native/untagged/default/access).

Guess it wasn't obvious that the "not" above should be distributed to all descriptions.

Yes, even though there is a single VLAN on SW3; the port-channel on SW3 should be:

• in trunk mode (not access mode) and
  • allow VLAN 100 and
  • NOT have VLAN 100 as native/untagged/access VLAN; but have VLAN 100 as a tagged VLAN

The UCS FI really really really wants all VLANs tagged for uplink ports.

The UCS FI management port should be an access port upstream.

thanks again for you prompt.

from you posts , i understand that :

• I should create port channel in SW_A , SW_B , with trunk allowing vlan 50,60,70.
  • I should create port channel in SW3 , with trunk allowing vlan 100

correct me if I miss somethings.

the last questions before closing the discussion:

• if i have some server on SW3 with access mode i can reach them , by configuring trunk on SW3 for my ucs server.
  • if i have another switch connected to SW3 with trunk , can i reach them ,by coonfiguring trunk between FI and SW3.

Thanks in advance

Because UCS expects the VLAN/.1q tag to be present. Creating a trunk port with only one VLAN assures the VLAN/.1q tag exists on the packets.

Yes.

Yes

Almost never. Just use trunks and tag the VLAN coming into UCS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: