cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS - B200 blade - How to change hardware but keep Windows installed HDDs

Khoa Pham
Level 1
Level 1

One of my B200 has a bad motherboard, it runs Windows 2008 Std installed on a RAID1. I want to swap out hardware by changing the server profile and move the HDD to another B200 blade.

So my plan is:

1. Turn off the malfunction B200

2. Unmount the Service Profile

3. MOVE THE 2HDDs TO A NEW B200 BLADE, same model, same hardware config

4. Attach the same Service Profile back to the new blade

I expect Windows to boot up normally after doing this. But I'm afraid when attaching the service profile, it will try to initiate the RAID 1 and wipe out the HDDs. Is it a correct sequent? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

If your local disk policy had the 'protect config' checkbox enabled, then you should have nothing to worry about, as the logical volume on the disks has a flag on them, that would keep the service profile from deleting and recreating it (which in your scenario actually shouldn't happen even if it wasn't enabled).

If you didn't have the 'protect configuration' enabled, during service profile association, the service profile will inspect the current config and see that the hardware raid 1 matches the service profile and leave it alone.  There are a few rare exceptions to this...

If you want to be absolutely sure nothing happens to your virtual drive,, then change the local disk policy from raid 1, to 'anyconfig', prior to re-associating the service profile, and then the service profile will never try to adjust the raid.

Thanks,

Kirk...

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

If your local disk policy had the 'protect config' checkbox enabled, then you should have nothing to worry about, as the logical volume on the disks has a flag on them, that would keep the service profile from deleting and recreating it (which in your scenario actually shouldn't happen even if it wasn't enabled).

If you didn't have the 'protect configuration' enabled, during service profile association, the service profile will inspect the current config and see that the hardware raid 1 matches the service profile and leave it alone.  There are a few rare exceptions to this...

If you want to be absolutely sure nothing happens to your virtual drive,, then change the local disk policy from raid 1, to 'anyconfig', prior to re-associating the service profile, and then the service profile will never try to adjust the raid.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card