Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS B200 M1 & M2

chaoyuanc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, all,

I have UCS B200 M1 & M2 in one chassis . I had installation ESX 4.0 update 2 in both server . I found out virtual machine can't vmotion on both ESX servers , how can I resolve this problem ? Thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you are running vCenter 4.0 and you have a cluster with running VMs you will not be able to enable EVC. If you are running vCenter 4.1 and ESX 4.1 you can enable EVC on a cluster with running VMs.

Try this, create a new empty cluster and eanble EVC there, then move one host at a time into this new cluster. After you move one host vMotion some VMs to it and then keep doing this until all hosts/VMs are moved. I have seen cases where you can't vMotion VMs from a non-EVC cluster to an EVC cluster. In this case you will have to power off the VM and then move it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Need more info.

1. Is 1000v being utilized or are you having VMotion issues with the standard vSwitch?

2. Does your VMotion VLAN exist on both UCS fabrics (created under the LAN tab - LAN - VLANs?

3. Does the VMotion VLAN exist on the upstream switches and have you ensured its allowed on the trunks?

4. From the ESX CLI can you do a "vmkping" from one host to the other?

Regards,

Robert

Hi, Robert,

as attached file, it's problem in CPU model. Thanks a lot.

You might be able to work around this by enable EVC (Enhanced VMotion Capability) on the cluster.

This will drop down the CPU flag/masking to the lowest CPU model (Nahalem for the B200 M1 in your case).

This will be the "Intel® Xeon® Core™ i7" option.

For more information you can read up here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003212

Regards,

Robert

Hi, Robert,

as attached file, I had try to enable EVC, but it can not click OK.

In vSphere 4.0 or lower EVC cannont be enabled on a cluster with running VMs. You have to either create a new cluster, enable EVC and then move one host at a time then the VMs or power off all VMs in the current cluster and enable EVC. In vSphere 4.1 you can enable EVC without having to power down VMs.

Hi, Jeremy

I have trying to reinstall vSphere 4.1 in M1 & M2 , but same problem . I can't enable EVC in cluster.

If you are running vCenter 4.0 and you have a cluster with running VMs you will not be able to enable EVC. If you are running vCenter 4.1 and ESX 4.1 you can enable EVC on a cluster with running VMs.

Try this, create a new empty cluster and eanble EVC there, then move one host at a time into this new cluster. After you move one host vMotion some VMs to it and then keep doing this until all hosts/VMs are moved. I have seen cases where you can't vMotion VMs from a non-EVC cluster to an EVC cluster. In this case you will have to power off the VM and then move it.

Hi, Jeremy,

You are right, I resolve this problem. Thanks for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card