Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS B200 M5 - Power state-MC Error

Quintin.Mayo
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

We are getting this error below on the Cisco UCS B200 M5 2 Socket Blade Server. We just tried to added more 32GB RAM to the blade. I have not been able to find any information for the specific error. Can anyone inform what would cause this and provide the documentation with the steps needed to troubleshoot and resolve? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

"Unable to change server power state-MC Error(-26): Power transition failure detected"

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sometimes you can see that error when the power controller on the blade has a timing problem.

I would suggest reverting the change (remove the recently added RAM/DIMMs) and see if the blade powers back on.

What firmware level is the blade running?

There are logs in the Blade server's tech support (part of chassis tech support) that will help ID the issue, but outside the scope of board post.  You may want to open a TAC case.

Kirk...

Hi,

We were able to rediscover the blade after removing the added memory as suggested.  My next question is how do we correct this issue as we need to add more memory?

Thanks

Make sure you are following the DIMM population rules as outlined on the spec sheet for the specific blade model. This is typically seen when installing non-Cisco memory, installing a DIMM that is inoperable or not properly installing the memory physically in the blade.

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can also try these actions:

UCS-FI-A/B# reset slot x/y

where x=chassis

y=Server

-Physical reseat of the blade can also help, if possible.

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card