cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Backups

junior.beatty
Level 1
Level 1

Is it me or is the backup utility in UCS lacking in functionality.  I am trying to get a backup to run and/or setup a scheduled backup periodically for recovery purposes.  With two 6248 fabric interconnects, do I really need to do a backup?  Correct me if I am wrong, if I loose a FI I should be able to replace it with a basic config and pull the UCS configuration from the remaining FI.  I have tried to setup a backup from the gui, as well as the cli with limited luck.  I am trying to document my procedures for doing a backup and a restore, but I can not get the same results on a consistence.  Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

1 Reply 1

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you loose one FI, you can replace it by going through the following procedure

- update the replacement FI to have the same firmware version as the peer FI (otherwise the cluster will not be built)

- erase configuration of the replacement FI, and connect cluster heartbeat to good FI

- Terminal session to replacement FI: asked to join a cluster, enter admin pw, configure out of band IP for replacement FI

- cluster will be built, and synch of configuration replicated to replaced FI.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, you would probably like to have a backup, for the case you loose both FI's ?

This is well documented in

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_1_chapter_0101001.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card