Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS BE7M-M5-K9 - CIMC Restart

Quintin.Mayo
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

We have a UCS model BE7M-M5-K9 that the CIMC restarts periodically,  I looked at the device system event logs and found these entries BMC_OOM_RESET: Watchdog sensor, Hard reset and BMC_WATCHDOG: Watchdog sensor, Hard reset errors. I did find a bug CSCvh25786 informing this is due to the device running out of memory but this model of device isn't listed for the known affected systems.  Can someone confirm this unit is also affected by this bug? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bug CSCvh25786 is for M4 generation servers while looks like your BE7k is a M5 generation.

There are a few BMC_WATCHDOG bugs so identifying which one with few details isn't easy.

I'd recommend the latest greatest CIMC firmware which should contain all of the known fixes.

If the issue continues with the latest greatest CIMC firmware, then open a TAC case to investigate further.

Hi,

Can you confirm the CIMC firmware upgrade is not end-user or service impacting, should this be done doing a maintenance window?

Thanks,

Typically the server would be booted from the UCS "HUU" .iso.

Doing so would be service impacting.

This being a BE7k I'm not as familiar with the upgrade process.

BE7k might need some steps besides "just use the latest UCS HUU file".

Maybe someone more familiar with BE7k firmware updates can chime in or provide some docs.

I found:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/BE7000/releasenotes/business-edition-7000-software-load-summary-export-restricted-version-12x14x-k9-14/cucm_m_business-edition-7000-software-load.html

Which says:

Business Edition 7000 appliance hardware is loaded with the latest supported BIOS, firmware, and drivers
from Cisco’s UCS Hardware and Software Compatibility Tool at the time of factory build.
At time of installation, consult this tool to see if any items must be refreshed.

Which sounds like "just use the latest UCS HUU file", but again not 100% sure.

Hi,

Since the devices are vm's is there any steps needed on the ESXI side for the vm?

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card