cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Blades - Forcing the Taking of a New Mac Address

CiscoMedMed
Level 1
Level 1

I am migrating a UCS from one data center to another. I found that the mac address pool and external mgt IP address pools have overlap. What I want to do is shut the existing blades. Remove the current mac and IP pools. Then I want to turn up the blades and have them grab a new mac address and KVM management IP from the new pools. My question: will the new mac/KVM IPs get assigned automatically just by powering up the blade? Or would the blades keep their earlier obtained IP and mac address by default? If the later, how would I force the blades to grab new mac and IP from the UCS pools?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Everything that you mentioned would be controlled from the service profile level if you want to change MAC and IP pool. It sounds like you want to use NEW pools in the OLD domain, right?

If so, you should just remove the service profile from the server in question, update the service profile to point to the new MAC/IP pools. Change MAC-POOL-OLD to MAC-POOL-NEW and the ext-mgmt pool will have different IP blocks you can configure under it. You should completely delete the old IP addresses and only add your new addresses to the pool. UCSM will automatically pull from this pool if it exist and it is possible it will still pull old IP addresses unless they are removed completely.

Once you re-associate the service profile back to the server, it will take on those new MAC/IP.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Everything that you mentioned would be controlled from the service profile level if you want to change MAC and IP pool. It sounds like you want to use NEW pools in the OLD domain, right?

If so, you should just remove the service profile from the server in question, update the service profile to point to the new MAC/IP pools. Change MAC-POOL-OLD to MAC-POOL-NEW and the ext-mgmt pool will have different IP blocks you can configure under it. You should completely delete the old IP addresses and only add your new addresses to the pool. UCSM will automatically pull from this pool if it exist and it is possible it will still pull old IP addresses unless they are removed completely.

Once you re-associate the service profile back to the server, it will take on those new MAC/IP.

CiscoMedMed
Level 1
Level 1

Very helpful. Thank you much.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card