cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C Series hardware monitoring

wellsdavidj
Level 4
Level 4

Does anybody know how we could monitor the UCS C Series hardware (power supply, Hard disk, Memory ect...) within SolarWinds. We usually monitor servers via SNMP. It looks like there is the CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-EQUIPMENT-MIB that is supported on UCS manager 1.4 and above. When I to poll the box for those MIB's I get the OID is not supported. The UCS C Series server is on 1.3(2j) for the firmware version. Do we need to upgrade to 1.4 to get the equipment monitoring to work or is there another way? I notice a lot of users are monitoring B Series in Solarwinds but I haven't really seen anything on C Series.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes, CIMC 1.4 has additional SNMP functionality.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/ucs/ucs-C-supportlist.html

-------- snip -------------

Release 1.4(3)

provides SNMP V1/V2c/V3 support for inventory and fault monitoring of fans, power supplies, CPU, Memory and Storage Controllers, Physical Drives, Logical Drives and Battery Backup Units. The SNMP agent supports SNMP V1/V2c/V3 traps and V2c informs. This release also carries further the MIB-II Implementation, from the previous release, for “System”, “Interfaces” and “SNMP”.

--------------------------

UCS top level OID -- 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.719.

719.1.1.1.1 -- fault table

719.1.15 -- Inventory table

OID for specific components,

719.1.15.12  -- Fan

719.1.15.56  -- PSU

719.1.30      --  Memory

719.1.41      --  CPU

719.1.45      --  Storage ( controller , LUN , disks and BBU table )

HTH

Padma

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes, CIMC 1.4 has additional SNMP functionality.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/ucs/ucs-C-supportlist.html

-------- snip -------------

Release 1.4(3)

provides SNMP V1/V2c/V3 support for inventory and fault monitoring of fans, power supplies, CPU, Memory and Storage Controllers, Physical Drives, Logical Drives and Battery Backup Units. The SNMP agent supports SNMP V1/V2c/V3 traps and V2c informs. This release also carries further the MIB-II Implementation, from the previous release, for “System”, “Interfaces” and “SNMP”.

--------------------------

UCS top level OID -- 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.719.

719.1.1.1.1 -- fault table

719.1.15 -- Inventory table

OID for specific components,

719.1.15.12  -- Fan

719.1.15.56  -- PSU

719.1.30      --  Memory

719.1.41      --  CPU

719.1.45      --  Storage ( controller , LUN , disks and BBU table )

HTH

Padma

Thank you for that. I just found a C Series that is on 1.4 and I was able to poll the hardware.

That was a very quick and well informed response. Thank you.

gmuer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Padma,

From my point of view the snmp functionality in CIMC 1.5 changed quite a bit. It’s not possible to monitor physical parts as described anymore. I can only access the cucsComputeRackUnitTable to read a Rack Unit OperState for example.

What’s the idea behind this change of snmp functionality? How do you recommend to monitor physical parts with release 1.5?

Regards,

Stefan

Hello Stefan,

For CIMC 1.5, can you make sure have the latest MIB on your NMS system ?

http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/netmgmt/cmtk/mibs.shtml

Other resources that might help you

UCS Tech Talk: Demystifying Monitoring for Cisco UCS Manager and Standalone C-Series Servers:

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-37138

Cisco UCS Monitoring Resource Handbook: (Supplement to the above Webinar)

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-37197

C-Series MIB Reference Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/mib/c-series/b_UCS_Standalone_C-Series_MIBRef.pdf

Padma

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card