cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS-C210-M2 on board gigabit ethernet ports problem.

MARC MONTANARI
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 x C210-M2 with 2 gigabit ethernet ports on the mother board and 4 gigabit ethernet ports on a PCI card.

The 4 ports of the PCI cards work fine.

About the 2 ports on the mother board, I encounter one problem with ESXi 4.1:

My 2 ports do autonegotiation and on the vsphere client the speed and duplex of the ports are always displayed correctly.

The network switch on which the server is connected is a C-3560.

I use this server for Unified Communications, an I see the problem on large file download.

With a Unity Connection virtual machine, when I want to download a locale file (file for language - 650 MB to 1 GB)

The download progression is shown in MB and it progresses very slowly as 1 MB every many seconds.

Whereas when I use a gigabit port on the 4-port PCI card, I can see the progression to go at a speed of tens of MB in the same period.

The only way to have the progression to go faster with the 2 gigabit ports on the main board, is to set the speed of the 3560 switch

at 10Mb/s HalfDuplex. In this case when looking at the vsphere client, the gigabit port on the server negotiates at 10MB - Half Dupl.

and the progression is constant and much quicker than it is when at 1000 Gb/s Full Dupl.

Anybody has any clue .

My CIMC firmware version is 1.4.1 and I run ESXi 4.1.0

Regards

Marc - CCIE 2700

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Marc,

ESXi's LRO feature does not work well with Linux kernel ( depending upon UC apps version, they are based of RHEL 4.7 / RHEL 5.5 )

Try disabling LRO on ESXi and verify the transfer rate.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Disable_LRO

HTH

Padma

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Marc,

ESXi's LRO feature does not work well with Linux kernel ( depending upon UC apps version, they are based of RHEL 4.7 / RHEL 5.5 )

Try disabling LRO on ESXi and verify the transfer rate.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Disable_LRO

HTH

Padma

Your suggestion solved the problem.

thank you Padma.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card