Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS c22 M3s + LSI MegaRaid 9265 not recognized

Danik Therrien
Level 1
Level 1

We have this server c22 m3s

I have installed the raid card and the battery.

Altough, When I boot, I do not see any LSI prompt.

CIMC does not see anything in the storage controller section. And Yes, I did install the lastest upgrades.

What do I need to do in order to be able to use the card?

It's a Brand new server. Blank.

And no prompt for CTRL+H.

What is the use of the GPIO connector from the sas cable?

Am i obligated to plug it ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Mark the post as answered for others facing the same issue

-Kenny

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Danik,

In which PCI slot have you installed the RAID controller card ?

Is the option enabled for the PCI slot ( can be verified from CIMc web page > BIOS > PCI configuration )

Make sure you have connected the cables to right ports.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C22/install/raid.html#wp1020431

Padma

Hi,

That didnt work. Here's a picture of the current setup.

I have tried two 7965 card in PCIe0 and 1. and I have tried the same cards in a second UCS. And i still dont get the prompt.

Danik,

This servers have a embedded RAID controlleri on the motherboard as well  (embedded SATA-only RAID controller that supports up to four SATA-only drives  <<< Does not support Virtualization OSs, like VMware) so if you bought a PCIe RAID card, you have 2 RAID controllers.

How many CPUs do you have? and where is this RAID controller installed? Controllers are installed by default in slot 1 for 1-CPU systems and slot 2 for 2-CPU systems, meaning that if there is only one CPU and the card is in slot 2, it will NOT be recognized/work, unless you change the OPROM (Option ROM) to enable another slot

See this (Table 28) for the supported installation and that shows that the embedded controller is initiallyh enabled, very likely the reason why you do not see the "Ctrl-H" option: 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps10493/c22m3_sff_specsheet.pdf

And here is the option to change the OPROM and enable a different PCIe slot when having 2 CPUs in the system:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps10493/c22m3_sff_specsheet.pdf   <<< Check the caveats for changing the OPROM cause you might lose the option to have a VIC card for example.

A step of last resort will be to disable any OPROM not needed (for some customer that means to disable all Option ROMs)

I hope it helps, and let us know if there is any other doubts or if this did not help, but I hoipe it does

-Kenny

• HI kenny. Please see the attached picture up there. All of my option Roms are  Enable. I have one UCS with a card in PCI1 and one ucs with another card in  PCI2. All their OptionRom are Enabled. and I still dont get the prompt. The  onboard SCU is Disabled on  BOTH UCSs.

Danik,

Could you please disable option ROMs unused?

If that does not work, I will begin to think about the option of using another controller (hopefully you have an spare or another server that you can use to swap adapters) or open a TAC case for an RMA and test.

-Kenny

Here's what fixed the problem.

I had to put the Raid card in PCIe0 and the Network Card in PCIe1.

I also cleared the CMOS and only enable the correct OptionROM.

Then I rebooted the CIMC. and There you go. CTRL-H.

Danik,

Nice!

So you installed the RAID card in the PCIe Slot on the right, slot 1 according to figure 3 here?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps10493/c22m3_sff_specsheet.pdf

What Network card do you have? (important for oter customers as well)

-Kenny

Yes in PCI slot1.

The other card is an Intel Server Adapter I350-T4. I had to order a small factor bracket to fit it in.

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Mark the post as answered for others facing the same issue

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: