Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C220 M3 loud fan noise - as couple of fans are not working

Risat
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have UCS C220 M3 server, in our lab environment, the server is giving out extreme loud fan noise, I believe this is caused due to couple of fans showing not running in the CIMC. I can see the fans are running fine, and I tried swapping them with the working ones in the other slots, but still it shows faulty on the same slot and these faulty fans are working fine on the other slots, so looks like the issue is on the board or with the sensors.

Since this is a lab environment, and temperature showing normal, and also all the fans are running fine, am not worried about the alarm on the CIMC, but is there anyway to bring down the fan speed/noise.

I tried setting the fan to low power mode in the CIMC, and also tried upgrading the CIMC, reset CIMC and BIOS factory default, but no luck, can you please let me know if anything else i can try to reduce the fan speed/noise

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What devices show up in your inventory/PCI adapters list?

Un-managed 3rd party cards such as NICs (i.e. Intel) that don't provide thermal information force the CIMC to cool more aggressively.

Kirk...

Sorry, I did not have internet whole day, I will check this and let you know, so you are saying the faulty fan alarms is not causing the fans to run in high RPM ??  (all fans are running in around 16000 RPM)

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If they are all maxed at exactly the same RPMs, then there is probably something wrong with the I2C bus or thermal control sensors.

With un-managed cards (or if GPUs present), you can see the fans run very high, but usually they all vary a bit.

Sounds like the fan control system is in 'safe' mode

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card